Which Centerfire

1/4" at 100 yards.....nice. what should I expect with factory ammo say at 100 and 200 yards in perfect conditions. I know all rounds are effected by wind but how much say over 150 yards with 10mph side wind , is it a big improvement on the hmr.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

from the top .223 .25-06 .222 .22lr the only 4 rifles this keeper will ever need, I have over the years shot or owned more calibres than I care to remember and push come to shove I would only ha

They both fire an identical .224 bullet, use the wrong bullet on deer ie vmax and meat damage will be bad, use a decent deer bullet and damage will be minimal, the deer I have seen shot with .222 cert

Sounds like your .22 which will take rabbits to 100 easily is doing its job fine for you so if your after a rifle for fox with a spot of long range (100-300 ish yards ) rabbiting then a centre fire is

.223 ammo is in every shop (next to the .243 & .308).

As for pesky Rabbits, any .22 centrefire turns bunnies into a red cowpats (not tried a 22 Hornet I must admit, got a 22.250 myself) , So not

much use in the culinary dept. for CF Rabbit!

Stick to the .22 RF for bunnies, nothing better.

.223 for Foxes and maybe a Rabbit if the Fox doesn't turn up!

Thank-you all for the advice,ive sent in a variation for a.223 today. Now what ammo, i understand the need to try different brands but for mostly fox at a max of 200 yards with possible long range rabbit what tip and what weight,light heavy hollow piont etc etc. also any reccomendations for a good moderator not stupid money.

Thank-you all for the advice,ive sent in a variation for a.223 today. Now what ammo, i understand the need to try different brands but for mostly fox at a max of 200 yards with possible long range rabbit what tip and what weight,light heavy hollow piont etc etc. also any reccomendations for a good moderator not stupid money.

I use Hornaby 55gr V-MAX expensive for rabbits and rips them to bits

Get the rifle first before thinking about rounds different barrel twist rates like different bullets

Anything at any speed loaded in factory rounds with a ballistic tip or hollow point is going to eliminate Charlie,

Just a case of finding the round your rifle shoots best. Even two rifles produced next to each other could like totally different rounds.

Play time :yes:

Is there much difference in the accuracy between the popular rifles in .223.? I mean in the hunting world not targets. For eg I've been looking at rifles I like the look of cz 527 american....cz kelvar......tikka t3 lite.....remington sps 700 and a browning A bolt. Prices vary by over 400 quid from top to bottom. Do they all have the potential to it the spot on fox at 200 yards.

All the makes you mention have inherent accuracy.

In .223, 200 yards is a bread and butter distance that they will each hit all day long with the right ammunition,

No out of the box gun these days is inherently accurate or inaccurate, you just have to find the ammunition it likes best,