Which Is The Best Place For Goose Shooting ?

Hi

My brother and myself have been traveling up to Scotland after the grays I was wondering if any one new a goose guide in England? As I live in the west country it is getting very expencive to travel up there plus all the other costs

I take it you mean Wildfowling. The closest for you with geese will be one of the wash clubs. But can't compare with Scotland.

where and who with did you go wildfowling while in Scotland Les?

Why money grabbing if local you get a permit for 18 quid for the whole season which I think is very reasonable theres not many places you can have 70000 pinks come in or off to roost .

Edited by MIK
  • Like 1

not telling you where we go mik you seem the type that would be there before us.why would you want 70000 pinks flying over you to shoot 4-5 get that many out of 1 small skein done here for nothing

If you need to ask the question why ...then you have never been wildfowling

Is it maybe your not telling me Les is because you are lying ?...you have never ever shot in that area

• Like 1

you shoot for nothing buddy like the rest of us.

Don't shoot for nothing if visiting the basin. £18 a day last season

How did you find the basin birdsallpl ?and what time of year were you there ?

MIk

I have shot the basin many times over the last Twenty years. It is an amazing place to view birds of all description. The best time is in October early November for Pinks. I usually go up in November or early December. Permits are very much sought after hence the price. You have to be on the ball to get them early in the season. My best ever flight on Pinks was at Montrose. 5 Pinks on a morning flight (which is plenty for any Wildfowler.) Mine you I have often blanked there even with 40,000 coming off.

It's a great place and with easy access.

My house overlooks the Basin or Baggies as we locals call it and it is some sight watching them come off in the morning and return from the fields at dusk ...Ive been out in the mud with my auld man (who still shoots there) since I was about 5-6 and im now 40 that was in the days before it was a reserve and a permit was needed ....I dont shoot it as much as I used too but still enjoy a flight if the tide is right and theres a big wind ....give me a shout birdsallp next time your up and I will get a craic with you and show you a few spots ....roll on Sept

You're making me very envious MIK, what a lovely place to live. You are spoilt with all the bird life there. I believe a white tail visited the basin last year for a few days. Wish I'd seen that. Haven't planned anything yet for this season, probably go to Wigtown, it's closer for us. But when next go to Montrose I'll drop you a PM. atb