Muscle Injury Do They Fully Recover?

Just count your self lucky your weren't 2 miles away from your car away on a hill side with a dog that knocked its self out that you had too carry home and with a lamp and dead battery walking in the pitch black on sheep country is not much fun

My bitch recently pulled her monkey muscle in her shoulder and it was fairly swollen, took her to Meeks a few days later and he said complete kennel rest for 10 days then to be kept on the lead for 3 months to let it heal properly but during that 3 months can walk her as much and as far as I want

once you have pulled a monkey muscle and its swollen you need to let dog run it will tear the muscle then let it heal you will wait 3 months then when you start working it it will tear you back to square one any greyhound vet will tell you this

b12 for blood not muscle injury you need a sclorosing agent this helps healing not b12 as I said if the monkey muscle has swelled you can wait but it will tear a soon as you start working dog so best to run dog let it tear 6 week back in action not 5 month

My bitch recently pulled her monkey muscle in her shoulder and it was fairly swollen, took her to Meeks a few days later and he said complete kennel rest for 10 days then to be kept on the lead for 3 months to let it heal properly but during that 3 months can walk her as much and as far as I want

once you have pulled a monkey muscle and its swollen you need to let dog run it will tear the muscle then let it heal you will wait 3 months then when you start working it it will tear you back to square one any greyhound vet will tell you this
that's what Robert Meeks told me to do and he is suppose to be one of the best greyhound vets in the country, are you saying that I shouldn't keep her on the lead for 3 months and just let her sprint round as much as she wants without resting her ? He told me that the muscle will set loose anyway

b12 for blood not muscle injury you need a sclorosing agent this helps healing not b12 as I said if the monkey muscle has swelled you can wait but it will tear a soon as you start working dog so best to run dog let it tear 6 week back in action not 5 month

surely the muscle has already torn to cause the swelling so don't need to let the dog run again that would only make it worse wouldn't it

I was giving my 11 month old springer/ lurcher lots of good walks every day, on the only day I didn't take her out I came back and she was limping......I was clueless, checked pads felt legs etc, she showed no signs of pain. Anyway she's been back and forth to the vets for the last 5 weeks, advised it was her shoulder and advised total rest at first, eventually she started putting more weight on it....I was advised little walks and to build these up, little and often. She was given sort of the all clear last Saturday. I'm still working on her, she's been off the lead for 5 -10 minutes a few times,but at the moment no more than that because when she's off the lead she doesn't stop so I'm very cautious. Seems to be some good advice on this thread.

And once again thanks Oddser.

Edited by wuyang

that's what Robert Meeks told me to do and he is suppose to be one of the best greyhound vets in the country, are you saying that I shouldn't keep her on the lead for 3 months and just let her sprint round as much as she wants without resting her ? He told me that the muscle will set loose anyway

hes not a vet hes a dog checker Richard torr at shepshed is a vet give him ring George drake is a good man to go to he will tell you same when the monkey muscle swells it has a small tear it now has a weak spot that don't stand up for long

hes not a vet hes a dog checker Richard torr at shepshed is a vet give him ring George drake is a good man to go to he will tell you same when the monkey muscle swells it has a small tear it now has a weak spot that don't stand up for long
so do they tell you to let the dog have a good sprint about to tear the muscle completely and then lay the dog off for 6 weeks and it will heal stronger than if you just layed the dog off as soon as the swelling appeared

Wouldn't recommend Meeks to anyone, on 3 seperate occasions I've phoned Him up needing dogs looking at all 3 times he couldnt meet me as he was busy so we made dates which suited him, phoned him up on the day where supposed to be meeting and all times he forgot all about it and was unable to make it! Now I just go straight to a proper running dog vets

so do they tell you to let the dog have a good sprint about to tear the muscle completely and then lay the dog off for 6 weeks and it will heal stronger than if you just layed the dog off as soon as the swelling appeared

yes that's right one of the best greyhound vets around plunked develin told me to do this 25 years ago its only the monkey muscle that you do this to it don't apply to any other muscle

Hi all

I am asking this question due to my lurcher having damaged his shoulder / top of the leg. While out on a routine walk. Had him to the vets and they said it just looks like he has twisted and pulled a muscle.

Well a week and a half later he is still limping. Had him out walking but only on the lead and not great a distance.

My question is have you ever had any similar experience and did the lurcher run to its full potential again?

Thanks

Depending if you live up North or Down South

seek out Ste Duncan or George Drake

Take there advice to the letter and id guess depending how bad the Injury is your dog will be back somewhere near right within 6-12 weeks.

Probably needs Ultrasound ' 6-10 treatments every other day and gently building up with Road work on lead and swimming.

I'd def keep him on the lead till you get some sound advice.

If its a muscle injury 1 to 2 mill of Vit B12 Injected into the injured area every 3 weeks for 9-12 weeks in total could help repair the damage alongside Ultrasound and lead walks, swimmimg, porta mag and massage.

This apparently works/helps by promoting blood flow witch in turn helps the healing process.

Crack on now and your dog should be fit 'well and ready by the beginning of October.

my young dog Buck had shoulder injury , seen Steve Duncan took his advice , told me what the injury was, and how long to rest it.Buck going great :thumbs: ,was out 9 weeks just lead work, then 2 weeks steady+easy running . started him in end of nov up to march done great had over 100 rabbits and anything else he bumped into lol .Steve Duncan a top bloke really knows is stuff , suppose Buck might get bit of arthritis around his shoulder when he is older 7-8 years old , but by that time I would have brought another pup in if I am still working lurchers, and to honest most of my lurchers over the years have carried some niggle injury from working, either bumping into fences ,jumping etc ... you cant wrap them up in cotton wool for ever the working dogs, and tough old job for a lurcher at times :yes:

There's some good advice on this thread, I hope you take it. ;)

I nursed one of mine back from a nasty torn Gracilis the other season and without the greyhound vets advice and treatment I don't think the outcome would of been anywhere near as good. :thumbs:

Had him to the vets again today not a greyhound vet but he said he has had experience with greyhound injuries. He thinks it is just a badly bruised muscle as the dog doesn't seem to be in any pain and once walking around seems fine.

He recommended regular lead walks (twice a day). Just to loosen him up. If any problems to take him back.

So hopefully should be ok. Il see how he goes if am not happy then greyhound vet it is.