Muscle Injury Do They Fully Recover?

Hi all

I am asking this question due to my lurcher having damaged his shoulder / top of the leg. While out on a routine walk. Had him to the vets and they said it just looks like he has twisted and pulled a muscle.

Well a week and a half later he is still limping. Had him out walking but only on the lead and not great a distance.

My question is have you ever had any similar experience and did the lurcher run to its full potential again?

Thanks

Seconded: only a good greyhound vet/bone man will be able to tell you what is wrong, and give you a programme to follow. Maybe more than a pulled muscle. Could be a tear, or there could be tendon or ligament damage as well which can take 3 months to heal. But just leaving it as it is may always leave the dog lame as soft tissue that is damaged can heal in the wrong way (muscle heals contracted or with scar tissue that prevents it from moving normally, for example). Good physio and or massage is as important as rest.

• Like 2

My big dog done he's shoulder in end of the last season 4 weeks kennels rest then another 2 weeks kennel rest too 1/2 mile walking a day gradually going up the distance fit as a fiddle now but like skycat said it will be time the hardest part for me was the dog got very agitated doing 6 weeks in the kennel

My big dog done he's shoulder in end of the last season 4 weeks kennels rest then another 2 weeks kennel rest too 1/2 mile walking a day gradually going up the distance fit as a fiddle now but like skycat said it will be time the hardest part for me was the dog got very agitated doing 6 weeks in the kennel

Tell about it he is going mental being kenneled up. A trip to the greyhound vet on Monday hopefully should get a better picture of his injury

Bones with meat on mate got too keep him thinking of something my dog ended up trying too chew his tail of on the end try and bring in the house if you can just too stop he's boredom but it all depends on the injury I was adviced too kennel mine for 6 weeks just cos of the injury he done

There are very few injuries that benefit by complete rest: and it can also cause muscles and other soft tissues to heal 'wrong'. Steady lead walking is nearly always recommended for most soft tissue injuries, but do see a greyhound vet or good back man and get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Just leaving a dog in a kennel is usually counter productive as the dog gets so stressed out, starts bouncing up and down and can sometimes make things a lot worse.

• Like 3