Went To See The Police Today...

Before i hand in my shotgun application i wanted to ask the firearms department a couple of questions but i got there and found out they are only open mon-fri 9-5, so i figure you guys have been very helpfull to me picking a gun to get and what cartridges to use, who better to ask?

How long after handing in my application would it generally take for someone to come round and check my gun storage? I just need to know if i should get a cabinet before i apply or if i will have a week or so to get it sorted

If i was only applying for a shotgun to shoot clays but 6-12 months down the line i decided rough shooting was all i wanted to do would i have to notify the police and change my licence? Would i then need to supply proof of land to shoot on? And would i have to specify what i was going to shoot?

Edited by Ruster

If you have no hesitation about whether you'll be granted a certificate, i.e. no convictions of any kind and you're not a drug dealer or something then I would fit a cabinet before the first visit, it just saves time.

Once you're granted a shotgun certificate, you're free to shoot whatever is legal with it on any land you have permission.

Whereas I don't disagree with what's been said, the only danger in getting a cabinet 1st is that you lose that money in part if you're refused for any reason.

One thing I would add to SS's comment above is ensure you're clean health wise as well, as the list of health conditions these days is extensive and may give rise to a refusal. If in doubt, wait until grant.

Current health declaration (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/262682/Form_201A_application_notes.pdf):

Personal health and medical declaration. You must disclose any physical or mental health condition that may affect your ability to safely possess and use a firearm (including a shotgun). This includes for example epilepsy, stroke, stress related illness, depression, alcoholism, heart disease, cancer etc. If in doubt, consult your GP

Quite why heart disease or stroke makes you a risk is beyond me!

Get your cabinet and fixed to the wall , you will need it any way , you do not need to specify the type of shooting, ie rough or clays , or supply information of land you intend to shoot on , however all or some of this may come into discussion when the firearms officer comes a calling , so doesn't hurt to have all the answers , with regard to time scale , this i'm sure depends on the constabulary and their resources .

Norfolk for instance has one part time officer dealing with home and land visits , all licences wether new , renewals or variations .

good luck it will soon all come together.

Just ordered my cabinet i got a 5 gun one so i have room to expand and also i wont have to buy a new one when i decide if im going to apply for fac or not.

A friend of mine got a 3 gun cabinet when he got his shotgun and now regrets not buying bigger so i figured why make the same mistake, plus i already know when my money to play with stash builds up again i will want a semi auto and a pump and maybe even a cheapy side by side just so i have a full set.????

Edited by Ruster
  • Like 1