• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Birds of prey such as owls and kestrels prey on the rodents in the stuper stage before death .IMO people have relied on poisons too much in the past instead of good husbandry and traditional methods.T

You sure do ask some slightly odd questions about things you should know about really but you seem to want folks to say things out loud,imo your someone to be on your guard with so carefull folks wi

The use of terriers in the control of rats and other pests is what we as terriermen need to convey to the public.   The ANTI's have been banging on for years about Fox hunting and have ignored the o

Posted Images

Have I ever come across the so called 'super rats' ?

Yes, one or two.....

100_0177_zps1585bbd9.jpg

I haven't actually seen the programme yet, but the problem of rodenticide resistant rats is not a new one. It started in the 60's when rats started to become resistant to Warfarin and other first generation rodenticides, and at that time the second generation baits still worked.

Around 30 years ago, resistance to second generation baits started, and later, the gene type was identified and became known as L120Q type resistance.

I've done quite a bit of work on this subject, and the problem is on of perception.

The raptor fans (of which there are many) don't want the effective baits which contain Floucoumafen and Brodifacoum used out of doors because they think there will be a greater risk to owls etc.

The reality is that owls and raptors don't eat carrion, and it would be better to have dead rats than rats with huge residues of Difenacoum and Bromadialone wandering around like little time bombs.

The UK is the only country in the world to restrict the use of effective rodenticides, thereby putting more importance on bird welfare than human health :yes:

:yes:We have had 'resistance problems' against certain rodenticides, here in Hampshire for several years. It is nothing new...and neither is the annual media exaggeration regarding super rats, seen every year, ad nauseum.. :laugh:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

Hi lads,

I've seen a lot of news stories lately about "Super rats" in the press, has anyone had any of these with they're dogs?

These are the kind i'm talking about

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2669542/Rise-genetically-mutated-SUPER-RATS-Giant-rodents-immune-poison-spreading-rapid-speeds.html

RW,

Good article and could not be highlighted at a better time to the public.

Check out an interesting interview with Bill Oddie (Animal/ Bird Conservationist) on the link below.

He describes how he has to "Get a Man in" to deal with his super Rat problem near his home.

Its amazing how his tolerance extends to only some mammals!!!

He can't use poison because it could kill some of his birds of prey in the food chain.

Its the same with the Animal Rights people, save the fox but kill every mouse and rat that comes near their house.

Of course they won't do it......they "Get a man in to do it for them".....Hypocrites.

post-42222-0-42347000-1403877250.jpg

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-06-26/the-rise-of-the-super-rat/

• Like 2

Have I ever come across the so called 'super rats' ?

Yes, one or two.....

100_0177_zps1585bbd9.jpg

I haven't actually seen the programme yet, but the problem of rodenticide resistant rats is not a new one. It started in the 60's when rats started to become resistant to Warfarin and other first generation rodenticides, and at that time the second generation baits still worked.

Around 30 years ago, resistance to second generation baits started, and later, the gene type was identified and became known as L120Q type resistance.

I've done quite a bit of work on this subject, and the problem is on of perception.

The raptor fans (of which there are many) don't want the effective baits which contain Floucoumafen and Brodifacoum used out of doors because they think there will be a greater risk to owls etc.

The reality is that owls and raptors don't eat carrion, and it would be better to have dead rats than rats with huge residues of Difenacoum and Bromadialone wandering around like little time bombs.

The UK is the only country in the world to restrict the use of effective rodenticides, thereby putting more importance on bird welfare than human health :yes:

a few raptors do eat carrion, Buzzard, Red Kite, just to name a few, just trap them and shoot them, or get the dogs, no need for poison, it will only make things worse

Edited by Richard Warwick
  • Like 2

Hi lads,

I've seen a lot of news stories lately about "Super rats" in the press, has anyone had any of these with they're dogs?

These are the kind i'm talking about

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2669542/Rise-genetically-mutated-SUPER-RATS-Giant-rodents-immune-poison-spreading-rapid-speeds.html

RW,

Good article and could not be highlighted at a better time to the public.

Check out an interesting interview with Bill Oddie (Animal/ Bird Conservationist) on the link below.

He describes how he has to "Get a Man in" to deal with his super Rat problem near his home.

Its amazing how his tolerance extends to only some mammals!!!

He can't use poison because it could kill some of his birds of prey in the food chain.

Its the same with the Animal Rights people, save the fox but kill every mouse and rat that comes near their house.

Of course they won't do it......they "Get a man in to do it for them".....Hypocrites.

attachicon.gifBill Oddie 01.jpg

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-06-26/the-rise-of-the-super-rat/

so Bill will "get someone" to kill rats because they're a pest, but disagrees with cattle farmers getting people in to cull badgers who may spread TB? hypocrite, if rats were pretty they would leave them alone

Anyone who thinks that serious rat infestations can be controlled with nothing but terriers and traps is living in cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid.

And I say that as a professional trapper, who has done alot of work with resistant populations.

with all due respect, anyone who thinks you can poison one species without it effecting another species, and that raptors don't eat carrion is equally as crazy

Whatever you say fella :thumbs:

My experience is that when people start a sentence off with the words "with all due respect", that's not what they really mean :no:

The fact is, sensibly used, by professionals, and for limited periods of time, Brodifacoum, Floucoumafen and Difethialone represent far less risk to BoP than to be continually chucking Difenacoum and Bromadialone at them while the target populations grow.

As was said on the TV programme, Barn Owl numbers are increasing, and car accidents cause far more deaths than rodenticide.

When successive governments place more importance on birds than human health, you know the worlds going mad :yes: