My New Theoben Evo .177 (Converted To Spring Power)

Well just picked this up a .177 evolution

Theoben.jpg

was offered it a while ago but decided against it as gas ram can be bit touch and go but cudnt help thinking a spring conversion would make a fantastic rifle and sure the trigger can be improved on with a polish up so went for it!!

I've read about a few gas rams been converted and vice versa but anyone done one?

It's hard to cock which leads me to believe it's been overfilled at some point and firing at 11.9 (tad close for me)

But it's a tidy one to convert give a fair price for it so can't moan looking forward to doing this ;)

Any others using gas rams either hw or theoben ?

Edited by mattybugeye
  • Like 2

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All built up again

Well just picked this up a .177 evolution   was offered it a while ago but decided against it as gas ram can be bit touch and go but cudnt help thinking a spring conversion would make a fantastic

I've hit a few snags on way though the cocking shoe is kaput it's fallen apart and dumped metal shards inside everything so needs a full polish of everything New cocking shoe A hefty spring as the

Haha couldn't resist

very nice light rifle build quality is unbelievable

From what I gather it's quite straight forward (he says lol) but time will tell it's far too hard to cock and very snappy but guess gas rams are nice titan xs spring and delrin guides should see it right

• Like 1

Well its running on spring power took a while to get my head round it but fully stripped and modified existing internals to make it possible. still needs work as used a old spring I had knocking around to sus how I was going to do it pics to follow ......

I've hit a few snags on way though the cocking shoe is kaput it's fallen apart and dumped metal shards inside everything so needs a full polish of everything

New cocking shoe

A hefty spring as the spring I've fit pushing no power at all not even bothered to chrono it lol

Getting the spring in then fitting the sear clip in position going to be fun with it been .177 going to need some poke

Pics below

The black ram plunger I'm going to trim and use as a spring guide

Got a delrin rod I'm going to sit through the gold ram plunger top with seals on to seat spring central in piston and pre load the spring

So pretty much everything I have removed has been re used just in different places it's hopefully going to be a awsum rifle when built I k ow the triggers ate a bit agricultural but sure a polish will help

20140626_142059.jpg 20140626_142103.jpg 20140626_142114.jpg 20140626_142126.jpg 20140626_143429.jpg 20140626_143444.jpg

was a right state inside the gas ram seemed on its last legs and we'll over pumped up

The shoe has damaged the underside of cylinder so will need all cleaning up with dremal

Edited by mattybugeye
  • Like 2

Bit of a update

Been to Aaron wheelers today bought a beasty whierach round coil main spring was doing 19 ft lbs in a .22 hw 80 so power should be good in my .177 may need trimming / pre loading will see when all built up

Had no joy on cocking shoe it's not a part that he stocks so he is machining one up today should be done tonight / tomorrow morning

Fit new piston washer and polished piston up

All greased up and back together now looking forward to testing it.

I've cleaned up all the damage to cylinder with dremal and reblued that bit

Pics 20140627_110120.jpg 20140627_110137.jpg 20140627_110742.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers mate Yea got a feeling I'm guna like this gun when done wish could test fire it and chrono it its doing my head in wondering what power is and how it shoots

Anything over 10.5 il be happy with :)

Will no doubt shoot nicer a tad under power too

• Like 1

Still on with this its been tricky getting power up

Even with the Fac rating spring its doing 2 ft lbs without preload got it up to 6.8 with some pre loads will keep at it

Had to buy a sash clamp to put spring in each tie its been a bugger but will sort it

Got cocking shoe done and sorted though IL put some pics of what I'm doing tomorrow :-)

Been bit quiet last few days as been plodding on with this the hw80 spring was just not long enough so I picked up a titan xs number 14 today bit of pre load and got it sat nicely in the 10.5s now if it wasn't so hard to get the spring back in I would pre load little more but for now that will do, I need to get a thin delrin tube to slot over the spring guide to stop the twang and add a top hat washer but thats a job for another day

It cocks nice and smooth very short to cocking too well impressed shoots OK bit twangy but very little recoil think a delrin tube will sort that all in all happy with it its been hard and wouldn't want to do another in .177 ID of thought a .22 would be easier as not as much power needed will get the viper on and test accuracy later few pics ,

20140630_154340.jpg

20140630_133733.jpg

20140629_074732.jpg

20140629_074717.jpg

Edited by mattybugeye
  • Like 1