Fac Air Rifles.......????

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea I agree definitely don't use on foxes people say would drop them but not a humane kill in my opinion at all! My brother has a fac Rws excaliber it's a insane pice of kit think it's doing about 26

Forget about fox shooting with an air rifle. If you want to shoot a fox get a centre fire on your ticket.

I am sorry if my comment could be seen to be advisory as it was certainly not my intention. I have in fact been hit in the face by air rifle pellets more than once, but luckily not in the eye. You wil

FAC air rifles certainly have their place, not least because the pellet will land harmlessly if fired upwards, whereas a .22 bullet has killed at least one person on landing after a shot up into trees, unbeknown to the shooter until later.

Really? I've heard that said plenty and imo it's complete bollocks. A 40gr lead slug falling at it's terminal velocity... I find it hard to believe it would leave much more than a bloody bruise at most.

Don't you lot ever watch Mythbusters? A bullet still on it's original trajectory can kill many times further than intended, A bullet fired straight up in the air and tumbling back down at terminal velocity would hardly break the skin.

FAC air rifles certainly have their place, not least because the pellet will land harmlessly if fired upwards, whereas a .22 bullet has killed at least one person on landing after a shot up into trees, unbeknown to the shooter until later.

Really? I've heard that said plenty and imo it's complete bollocks. A 40gr lead slug falling at it's terminal velocity... I find it hard to believe it would leave much more than a bloody bruise at most.

Don't you lot ever watch Mythbusters? A bullet still on it's original trajectory can kill many times further than intended, A bullet fired straight up in the air and tumbling back down at terminal velocity would hardly break the skin.

We didn't have mythbusters in the 70's. :huh: I am determined to find this book now, even if it is just so we can dis it. Also I am sure that larger bullets will have a deadly terminal velocity. Physics tells us that if there was no air resistance, then a bullet fired vertically will land with the same speed it left the barrel at. However I don't know yet how to calculate the affect of air resistance and so deytermine the terminal velocity of an object, but I will be looking it up. :hmm:Presumably it is combination of surface area and mass.

We didn't have mythbusters in the 70's. :huh: I am determined to find this book now, even if it is just so we can dis it. Also I am sure that larger bullets will have a deadly terminal velocity. Physics tells us that if there was no air resistance, then a bullet fired vertically will land with the same speed it left the barrel at. However I don't know yet how to calculate the affect of air resistance and so deytermine the terminal velocity of an object, but I will be looking it up. :hmm:Presumably it is combination of surface area and mass.

Don't forget to include the ballistic coefficient of the bullet in your calculations. :thumbs:

I can kind of understand that if a bullet is at the end of it's original trajectory, the bullet is still stabilised by the twist, but it it's falling out of the air, it probably tumbles which would makes calculation almost impossible.

....... but what happens when fired in an arc? This is what most of our shots into the air will be as you raely shoot vertically. We need a physiscist methinks.

In an arc it would still be on it's initial trajectory, so it would be down to how many ft/lbs of energy were left in the bullet. That's what long distance shots are after all.

....I think. :laugh:

Edited to add: A 40 gr bullet falling at terminal velocity of approx 180 fps would yield 2.88 ft/lbs. I thought the minimum required to kill a mammal was 4 ft/lbs, If you factor in that the bullet is tumbling instead of point first, this might make it even less deadly.

Not that I'd want to stand under one mind you. :thumbs:

....... but what happens when fired in an arc? This is what most of our shots into the air will be as you raely shoot vertically. We need a physiscist methinks.

Born Hunter will be along eventually and yep you guessed it he is a physicist :laugh::laugh::laugh: He started doing the equations to work out how much lead my pheasants would need last time he was here within 30 seconds I was baffled :icon_redface:

• Like 2

Born Hunter will be along eventually and yep you guessed it he is a physicist :laugh::laugh::laugh: He started doing the equations to work out how much lead my pheasants would need last time he was here within 30 seconds I was baffled :icon_redface:

Yep. He'll make your head hurt more than a falling bullet. :laugh:

:laugh: I'm keeping my head down before I start having to produce differential equations that model projectile ballistics. We used to write MatLab programmes at Uni that did all that.

Dan mate, my blathering might baffle you but your pheasants and partridge bloody baffle me! "You sure that's a partridge and not a f***ing commercial airliner mate?.... pass me the binos" :laugh:

• Like 1

How about another question that may be simpler to answer. Should we shoot pigeons, crows etc out of trees with a .22 lr rimfire if there is habitation or the chance of people where the bullets may land? If it's OK, should we be cautious about the angle we fire at? I was taught meticulous gun and rifle safety by my grandfather, to the extent I had to think about ricochets with my first air rifle. However he was always happy for us to shoot the .22 lr upwards without any concerns!

:laugh: I'm keeping my head down before I start having to produce differential equations that model projectile ballistics. We used to write MatLab programmes at Uni that did all that.

Dan mate, my blathering might baffle you but your pheasants and partridge bloody baffle me! "You sure that's a partridge and not a f*****g commercial airliner mate?.... pass me the binos" :laugh:

If you thought they partridge got up there you best come down on beaters day this season I'll put you under those on the drive we measured :thumbs:

Put it this way, a 40gr lead slug ain't gonna hurt anybody really, it's not going to be the most pleasant experience in the world but neither is being shit on by a gull at the beach. That said, if a bullet drops on joe bloggs shoulder it WILL be in the press the following morning..... so just be sensible and save bringing shit on the shooting community.

Dan mate, my blathering might baffle you but your pheasants and partridge bloody baffle me! "You sure that's a partridge and not a f*****g commercial airliner mate?.... pass me the binos" :laugh:

If you thought they partridge got up there you best come down on beaters day this season I'll put you under those on the drive we measured :thumbs:

:laugh: You'll give me a nervous tick with talk like that! I'll need councelling after such a drive I'm sure! :icon_redface::laugh:

I will have to come down and see them though. I bet they're something else when they come off of that 'mountain' side.

How about another question that may be simpler to answer. Should we shoot pigeons, crows etc out of trees with a .22 lr rimfire if there is habitation or the chance of people where the bullets may land? If it's OK, should we be cautious about the angle we fire at? I was taught meticulous gun and rifle safety by my grandfather, to the extent I had to think about ricochets with my first air rifle. However he was always happy for us to shoot the .22 lr upwards without any concerns![/size]

Have you got a FAC?