Shooting Off The Hand, Unsupported...

I think its widely agreed that this is one of the hardest shooting positions to do well and with consistent accuracy. But I also feel its one of the most rewarding.. So just for the challenge

I've been dedicating a lot of my practice time to this recently and have been really pleased with the results i've had so far. I feel a lot more confident in my technique and know that my shot placement from this position is greatly improving.

I just wanted to get the general consensus to what you would consider to be very good accuracy from off the hand, it might give me something to aim for? (no pun intended) :thumbs:

Thanks

Daryl

Perhaps hitting the 1" kill zone every time. I find that shooting off hand, unsupported, comes down to regularly doing it. The more your shooting unsupported, the more the required muscles will develop that are need for steady hold/technique. Many times has the mrs caught me just shouldering my hw's for no apparent reason.

i have always set my guns up off a rest then shot free hand after 99% the time. never really give much thought to how good of a grouping i have all i need to know is my air riffle is shooting spot on before hand. i do sometimes rest on a gate or even fence posts in some situations.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response's guys!

Put in a bit of practise off the hand today, I was hitting the 1 inch kill zone 8 out of 10 times at 20 yards.

Also landed 10 shots in a row on a coke can at 40 yards which I was chuffed about. :)

Happy shooting

Daryl

It really does pay to fire and learn your rifles in all shooting positions, from prone to sitting to knelling to standing and by learning your rifles I mean really learning.

Every position presents differences in breathing, hold, sight line and flexibility of use.

• Like 1

I've been playing around with a few different shooting positions after getting a set of shooting sticks.

Tried a few left handed shots, unsupported, supported, bipods, sticks, standing, kneeling, prone, etc.

Wow, what an education it is to really get to know so much about my guns. Granted I'm never going to be lay in my side taking shots Hollywood style, but it was still an interesting experiment.

• Like 1

I've been playing around with a few different shooting positions after getting a set of shooting sticks.

Tried a few left handed shots, unsupported, supported, bipods, sticks, standing, kneeling, prone, etc.

Wow, what an education it is to really get to know so much about my guns. Granted I'm never going to be lay in my side taking shots Hollywood style, but it was still an interesting experiment.

Hello mate, thats what it's all about.. having fun and getting to learn your rifle!

And if Hollywood does come knocking... you'll be ready! ;)

Thanks for your response mate.

What rifle do you have?

No worries, I use an air arms S510 (with a PH mod for added weight at the business end). I find it helps with my stability and the noise a little too.

Off hand is always a good skill to have in your locker :thumbs:

Sounds a nice set up mate, one day i'll perhaps enter the world of PCP's.

I find shooting off the hand the most rewarding, it's also the one that your mates always want to try with your rifle.... so it's worth the practise for when it's your turn, a chance to impress them!

Plus... no one wants to be a 1 trick pony! ;) ha ha

i have always set my guns up off a rest then shot free hand after 99% the time. never really give much thought to how good of a grouping i have all i need to know is my air riffle is shooting spot on before hand. i do sometimes rest on a gate or even fence posts in some situations.

Sounds like you have a spot on process that works for you! =)

What rifle do you have mate?