Hv Or Subs?

I wasn't actually asking what ammo I should buy for my gun. I was just stating the noise difference between the two wasn't that much and the HV had the edge (for me at least.)

I do actually have the condtion for fox on my rimfire but it's not really the tool for the job IMO so unless one actually steps out in front of me, they're nromally safe.

For me Winchester subs are as quiet as my AirArms S410 air rifle. Where as HV's when, in the past, I've fired them sound more like my HMR. The other reason I don't use them is coz they are copper coated. I never clean my CZ 452 and it shoots true with subs. If you were to use HV's all the time you would have to clean it coz of the copper.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Subs with a moderator any day of the week for yard work myself.

Best start preparing himself for the disappointment then lol

When I've shot HV rounds in past I've found there's a lot of variation in the noise.   Even them subs last night all sounded different. Winchesters were the quietest and the cci,s the loudest.A cou

Try getting fox on a ticket for ANY rimfire in SYorks, no chance, I would not wish to test the water by claiming I shot one under my "vermin" condition, I agree foxes are vermin, but still would let somebody else be the test case, so I will stick to the .243 for charlie, they dont seem to get up for some reason :hmm::yes:

Hear hear Charlie. According to the dictionary foxes are vermin, but i don't believe firearms departments use dictionary definiitions. If they DO mean that, I'd get them to put it in writing.

Yeah I debated this in another thread, and it's certainty one I wouldn't like to test,. Not when Fox is ordinarily listed separately from "vermin" on certificates and when it's classified separately in the guidelines.

It's always better safe than sorry given the penalties.

• Like 1

I use Sub's because their quiet, not that the rabbits seem to be that bothered, but with all the houses dotted around here the less 'they' know

I'm about the better as far as I'm concerned.

Continual crack crack etc too much like inviting bother, and with rabbits I am shooting a lot of ammo all the time.

I use centrefires a lot as well but seldom fire more than one shot infrequently, and it sounds like a shotgun anyway, but a .22HV is very

recognisable and a lot of people know what it is!

If your in the middle of nowhere fine, if not beware.

Try getting fox on a ticket for ANY rimfire in SYorks, no chance, I would not wish to test the water by claiming I shot one under my "vermin" condition, I agree foxes are vermin, but still would let somebody else be the test case, so I will stick to the .243 for charlie, they dont seem to get up for some reason :hmm::yes:

Hear hear Charlie. According to the dictionary foxes are vermin, but i don't believe firearms departments use dictionary definiitions. If they DO mean that, I'd get them to put it in writing.

Yeah I debated this in another thread, and it's certainty one I wouldn't like to test,. Not when Fox is ordinarily listed separately from "vermin" on certificates and when it's classified separately in the guidelines.

Well today i spoke to the head of firearms licensing department for north yorkshire and asked his advice on taking fox with a .22 or 17 hmr it is NOT ILLEGAL to take fox with either calibre and he confirmed the fox is classed as vermin, and does not need to be specified on your licence under these calibre's . It boils down to shooters discretion. i asked the question , if i was stopped on the way home after a shooting session and in the possession of a .22 rifle and a dead fox on the back of my pick up , would i be in any trouble of sorts……………his reply was lol…….as long as you were not speeding NO.

• Like 1

Well today i spoke to the head of firearms licensing department for north yorkshire and asked his advice on taking fox with a .22 or 17 hmr it is NOT ILLEGAL to take fox with either calibre and he confirmed the fox is classed as vermin, and does not need to be specified on your licence under these calibre's . It boils down to shooters discretion. i asked the question , if i was stopped on the way home after a shooting session and in the possession of a .22 rifle and a dead fox on the back of my pick up , would i be in any trouble of sorts……………his reply was lol…….as long as you were not speeding NO.

Just be aware the Guidelines are Guidelines not law. So there is some discretion. What one County permits isn't necessarily what another one does. Very much like the "Occupier" debate when shooting with a friend. In one County someone merely with permission is fine. In another, unless you're the tenant.... With either, shoot over the border with a friend and .....

I'd personally take the view that there are strong arguments for saying that a fox isn't intended as falling within "vermin" for the purposes of the guidelines.

So, if you're going to rely on what the FEO said, then I'd get it in writing (although I bet they don't supply it! In my experience they prefer to keep things verbal. I've requested written clarification of the law on the "Occupier" from my force on several occasions through normal channels (fax, email etc), and every time it's been ignored).

The reason for getting something in writing is simple: In writing you have something to prove your position should you subsequently get arrested (never the give the police the original as it's you get out of jail card!).

Verbally, it's your word against the FEO's and a Court is probably more likely to believe the word of a Police Officer than a member of the public, unless there's good reason to call that into question.

BTW one way to get a written answer is to make a Freedom of Information Act request from the force. They wont like you for it, but they are forced to give a written reply.