Functional Saluki Article

Thanks for putting that up: I'd forgotten all about it! I like the bit where he disproves the myth that a running dog should have 'well let down hocks'. This, as well as the very laid back shoulder blade was put in place as how a dog must appear when people were still comparing the dog to the horse, which has a completely different running action due to its size and weight. A horse would collapse if it was shaped like a dog.

A very good read that. Answered a lot of questions.

yeh good read , not got salukis or xs but the deep chest myth , he blew that out of the water for any type of running dog really :yes: my dog a big heavy type lurcher not particular tucked up or deep chest, but got good stamina and quite fast for his size run all night long !

Fascinating read. Goes to prove how this forum is so 'emotive'; this forum has people that run dogs on every ground type, using dogs bred from many different breeds sight and scent and many in between. Its no wonder we never or rarely see eye to eye on what's 'right'.

Edited by NickF

yeh good read , not got salukis or xs but the deep chest myth , he blew that out of the water for any type of running dog really :yes: my dog a big heavy type lurcher not particular tucked up or deep chest, but got good stamina and quite fast for his size run all night long !
I took a lot of it as applicable to other sighthounds, he makes a lot of comparisons.

I like the fact he says out right you can't tell a good dog from bad by looking or muscle structure and confirmation.

Edited by Tozer

I took a lot of it as applicable to other sighthounds, he makes a lot of comparisons.

I like the fact he says out right you can't tell a good dog from bad by looking or muscle structure and confirmation.

true :thumbs: ,different breed but apbt's that were at the top of there game came in all different shape+sizes a good dog - a good dog at the end of the day ,not just because what it looks like :yes: