National Identity

Ffs you kev and every other Irishman with a chip on the shoulder need to get a life and move on. My blood is a complete mix of all our nations, my family name and my christian name are Gallic and frankly this crap offends me..... Oooo the potato famine etc fuuck off! It was nearly 200 years ago!

• Like 4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We do have a lot of freedom in this country it's true, however we have allowed and are allowing our freedom to be seriously eroded daily.......it's the price we pay for a few grand on the value of you

What has this to do with hunting.... f**k all, it's the general talk section.   Our forces are fighting to stabalise regions that affect our lives either due to being breeding grounds for terrorism

i have never bought into welsh hating the english, on rugby days its just a bit of banter for me and pretty much everyone i know half of my family are from birmingham and i spent most of my summer hol

Ffs you kev and every other Irishman with a chip on the shoulder need to get a life and move on. My blood is a complete mix of all our nations, my family name and my christian name are Gallic and frankly this crap offends me..... Oooo the potato famine etc fuuck off! It was nearly 200 years ago!

this is the prob to day mate, the lot of them welsh, scotch and above live in the past regards England , and (don't) wont to forget , a very primitive attitude , that wont move forward :yes:

this is the prob to day mate, the lot of them welsh, scotch and above live in the past regards England , and (don't) wont to forget , a very primitive attitude , that wont move forward :yes:

Pretty damning statement that Ray, you've came to Wales and been treated with respect and didn't whin have up his for a few days..........primitive pmsl !!

Wow this has diverted a lot from the OP.

I'm going to hopefully bring the rant back round...the UK is 100% a mongrel nation. The thing that unites us it the flag and laws under which we live. Even though we may not like the laws.

Are we the greatest nation on earth? No. I think ImagiNATION is the greatest nation on earth! haha.

However, we are all from seperate areas of the world. My herriate is tracked back to the Vikings. But we have a massive Indian presence in my family...my dad was 3/4 Indian (he's passed away, thus my use of the word WAS). But he worked from washing milk bottles to become just shy of a director of a major accountantcy firm. He didn't use the NHS, and he brought me up to respect where I came from and the nation which allows the freedoms that we have.

What makes me proud to be British? Having parents from Britain and India, and appreciating where I would most want to grow up.

Can I just point out a few things about our great nation...we had the largest empire in history. The largest navy. The best doctors. The best healthcare. Some of the greatest inventions e.g. the internet. The most famous monarchs on earth.

We are not the former world power that we once were. However, the countries that were once a part of our empire did benefit from our presence. From direct personal research India had the railways and thrived under the British rule. The standards of living back then were much better than they are, even now. It has taken around 65 years for India to get back to where they once were with the British rule (my dad came over when India got their independance). Does India have some amazing educational facilities? Yes, are they as good as those in the UK? Not too far off. Access to education...low percentages. Average level of wealth in Inida...poverty! What is the average standard of living in India? POOR!!! Average access to running fresh water....pathetically low!!! Life expectancy....oh dear. Legal system....found wanting, at best. There are tribes of people in India that would not have a clue that they lived in a country called India, and many would not even recognise that such a country existed.

• Like 2

For me anyway, I only have to read a history book to be filled with pride. We've done bluddy brilliant as a small island :D And when it comes down to it, all nations would fight together in defence of it :yes:

• Like 1

Pretty damning statement that Ray, you've came to Wales and been treated with respect and didn't whin have up his for a few days..........primitive pmsl !!

very true johnny :thumbs: yes a lot of lads ive met from other places have been spot on, whin was good to me you are right.But I get the feeling lads like your self etc. are a minority if I am honest . many a time been on holiday with wife +son gone for a meal or pint and as soon as I open my mouth and W-ton English lol comes out , there a deff cold shoulder or there lingo is said prob about me lol . It don't bother me, you know I am easy to get on with , but there a lot don't like English for reasons of hundreds years ago, and to me these people haven't moved on , where you and whin clearly have :yes: its a shame it as to be like this , when some people live in the past and not going forward that's what I meant is primitive .!

Northern Ireland. :thumbs:

Matter of opinion that one mate… The 6 counties have only been separate from Ireland since 1922. From the recent elections and the republican move towards the ballot box i honestly cannot see the segregation lasting a terrible lot longer….. Sinn Feinn are extremely strong in northern politics at the moment.

I predict this thread will soon be closed and maybe a few bans handed out for insulting the easily offended lol

If you learn a bit more about Northern Ireland's ancient history you'll see it's been separate from the rest of Ireland for as long as these Isles have been inhabited.

Lol, please expand mate, I really dont understand how a lively debate can be seen as insulting…. i have studied irish history extensively… Northern Ireland has only been separate from the other 26 counties of the irish free state since the signing of the anglo irish treaty on 6th december 1921 (after the black & tan war which resulted in British forces leaving the other 26 counties). Previous to this Ireland as a whole had been subject to british rule since the time of the Normans.

However my main point i tried to make is that the majority of these threads, similar to the ukip threads etc are basically a thinly veiled racist rant at anyone who is not of british origin. However after all the years of colonisation, oppression etc i only see the entrance of foreign nationals into your country as a form of a taste of your own medicine. When British forces enter a foreign country and seek to take power, assets etc they are seen as heroes… When many of the people you have in fact attempted to colonise decide to return the favour and enter your country you are up in arms about it.

• Like 1

You want some fish with that chip??? There is nothing thinly veiled about it we want to be able to celebrate "Englishness" and not be called a feckin racist. You want to see real racism?? Get your ass over here to Spain, you'll see plenty!

• Like 2

Kev, our immigration problems and consiquential rise in right wing views is 100% down to two decades of left wing politics. It has nothing to do with our colonial past. You can find it as ironic or amusing as you wish, but that's all it is, there's no relationship between the two. If we hadn't had an empire but still somehow managed to become the successfull country we are, we would still be flooded with immigrants, nothing would change.

very true johnny :thumbs: yes a lot of lads ive met from other places have been spot on, whin was good to me you are right.But I get the feeling lads like your self etc. are a minority if I am honest . many a time been on holiday with wife +son gone for a meal or pint and as soon as I open my mouth and W-ton English lol comes out , there a deff cold shoulder or there lingo is said prob about me lol . It don't bother me, you know I am easy to get on with , but there a lot don't like English for reasons of hundreds years ago, and to me these people haven't moved on , where you and whin clearly have :yes: its a shame it as to be like this , when some people live in the past and not going forward that's what I meant is primitive .!

Ray that is absolute Bullocks. I live in Welsh Wales, and a person is judged on merit not their nationality. Mind at rugby time things can change a little, but it is all banter.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 2

Ray that is absolute Bullocks. I live in Welsh Wales, and a person is judged on merit not their nationality. Mind at rugby time things can change a little, but it is all banter.

TC

Funny you should say that TC. My mrs and I were in a pub in Carmarthen watching the rugby during the 6 nations. It was rammed full of big hairy Welshmen (and women, lol) and they were the friendliest bunch going. A couple of them even sat at our table and we had a good craic all afternoon. There was some good-hearted piss-taking from both sides, but nothing that went too far.

I USED to think the Welsh hated the English, and i can't say it's completely untrue, but luckily I've never been on the receiving end of it.

Maybe I'm just very likeable. :laugh: