First 22Lr - Too Many Choices!

Hi guys,

Hopefully my FAC will come back soon at which point I'll be able to get my first real rifle.

It'll be used for longer range rabbits than my 177 air rifle can cope with.

My 177 S200 will easily group halfinch at 50 yards if there is no wind and i'm doing my job, thus, I really want something with similar quality and accuracy. I have a 2stage trigger on the S200 and it's nice and light, something I'll be looking for in the 22lr rifle.

I'm hoping I can go the route of a semiauto like the Ruger 10/22 or the CZ512 but want to be sure the rifle is accurate and not just a tin can plinker. What recommendations are there?

The rifle will be used in the field and with a moderator, rarely, if ever, on a range. Looks are not important to me, although I don't wish for something beautiful that I worry about knocks when I take it out.

I've seen plenty of different opinions on barrel length, barrel weight, magazine capacity, s.auto/bolt, etc... but thought I would ask the question here.

Many thanks

phillips321

P.s. I have a harris 25S bipod ready for it so most shots will be prone, kneeling or out of the window of the car.

The 10/22 is fine for rabbits but not quite as accurate as a bolt action rifle. I'm not keen on semi-autos in the field as I prefer to take my spent cases home with me rather than leaving them in the grass.

For semi-auto my choice would be a Ruger 10/22

For bolt action it would be a CZ452

Shorter the barrel, the better.

If you want a semi have a look at the cz511 or Brno 581 which is what I have, its all personnel preference and yours might not be the same as others...bog standard ruger 10/22's excell when modded as there is so many accessories but be prepared to part with your cash for this.

You seem to have a good idea of what you want so do your homework on the rifles you have in mind and you won't go far wrong as most out there are more than capable of performing to the mark..give or take that is!.

The Brno 581 and cz511 are essentially the same rifle and are easy to strip down and are so simple to maintain its almost child's play ..yet built solid, if you want a bolt action Brno check some of the model 1-5's out as they are so light and accurate and can be picked up for a £100 roughly.

Bolt action - CZ452

Semi Auto - 10/22

Both rifles will shoot far more accurately than the shooter in most instances. Better spending slightly more on the glass on top. Seen alot of people saying about fixed mag scopes. 8x40 or such is popular.

The 10/22 is fine for rabbits but not quite as accurate as a bolt action rifle. I'm not keen on semi-autos in the field as I prefer to take my spent cases home with me rather than leaving them in the grass.

For semi-auto my choice would be a Ruger 10/22

For bolt action it would be a CZ452

Shorter the barrel, the better.

Agree with Walshie here (aside from the last point). I have both of these and they do a good job, a great job even if you get the right ammo.

My only gripe is that the 16" barrel on the CZ452 American makes it look and feel like a toy gun in my hands. I'm not a giant (6'3" and 16 stone) but it feels too light and small for me so it gets left behind when I go down to the permission and in fact it's off to a new owner within the next week or so. Good gun, solid and reliable but just ensure you're comfortable with it on all aspects of your shooting.