New Members Please Also Read This

I think this should be compulsory reading as these threads keep popping up and they don't help the person asking, nor the people constantly reading the kinds of threads that ask the number 1 unbelievable post you can create to make your time on here short lived and unhappy.

"I'm looking for a permission."

There are guys on here that have taken 10 years to get permissions.

There are guys that have been looking after the same permission for 10 years.

There are guys on here that have been working their permissions for longer than you've been able to hold a gun.

Most people on this forum have faced rejection time and again from the same farmers, year on year, only to one day have a farmer turn around and say yes.

There are so many people on this forum that have worked their arses off to get a permission and actually gotten off their bums to do so....

Here's a question, if you have a rare *something* that everyone wants to have, would you let them have yours, just because they asked? Please note, they probably didn't even say please when they asked. Now replace the *something* with wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend and tell me how you feel about that. Please note, you may have probably spent more time getting your permission than your partner.

Okay, now here's where it gets REALLY complicated.

If you have worked hard, using up your spare time, taking rejection, designing/printing/and posting leaflets, walking miles at a time from farmhouse to farmhouse, being chased by dogs, just to get a permission, would you let someone have a go on your permission...at the risk of losing your permission you worked so hard to get?

There are 2 other ways to think about this question.

1. If you're on a "Porsche Website" would you post "Hi, I'm new to driving. Can I drive your Porsche?"

If you consider this as an acceptable kind of social interaction, you probably should not be allowed to own a firearm.

2. If you're in a pub, would you ask someone "Hi, I want to get into biking, can I try on/have your leather jacket?"

The outcome for this is going to be negative.

So, for your own sake, and the sake of everyone else that has suffered the slings and arrows of rejection, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be wise and do not make an early post about asking for permissions. If you're a shooter and have been shooting for a while, and are now looking to make the transition to hunting....maybe speak to the people you already shoot with at the club and talk to them about going out with them.

By asking for permissions on this website, you are doing the equivalent to asking for cattle or land on a Farmer's Website.

If you're scared to ask a farmer for permission, do a leaflet drop or make phone calls.

Do us all a favour and please do not just jump into this forum asking for land to shoot on. We all want more and we would all be asking the same questions....if it was beneficial. But it's not.

• Like 5

So I can't come on your permission then?....

Well, because you asked so nicely....I do get a go with your wife first right? haha

Did he not mention that this is a shared permission? ;)

I think this is a great write up Remy. This could do with being neatened up a little, worded a little more professionally and pinned to the Intros by a Mod.

Well done pal.

White

• Like 1

So I can't come on your permission then?....

Well, because you asked so nicely....I do get a go with your wife first right? haha

Did he not mention that this is a shared permission? ;)

Are we still talking about the wife?

I'm quite new to this site but I think a lot of youngsters are naive when it comes to all the vagaries of getting somewhere to shoot. We, I hope want to encourage youngsters into the sport and if they don't ask they don't get. There may be the chance that someone may take them under their wing. In my humble view we should be encouraging these guys not basically telling them to p**off

I'm quite new to this site but I think a lot of youngsters are naive when it comes to all the vagaries of getting somewhere to shoot. We, I hope want to encourage youngsters into the sport and if they don't ask they don't get. There may be the chance that someone may take them under their wing. In my humble view we should be encouraging these guys not basically telling them to p**off

Aye I didn't see the need for a post like that ,as this Is a hunting site and as said common sense should tell you no to post on here looking for ground to shoot on ,Then as your saying they might get somebody to take them under there wing with the amount of folk posting looking for shooting on here compared to the amount of folk willing to take them out there would be a head indian and twenty folk walking Indian style behind him waiting on there turn to be called up for the shoot LOL. Getting shooting permission is hard for a reason the landowners got to put trust in you to allow you to walk about his/her land with a deadly weapon

Hand on heart, I do really feel for guys trying to get permissions. However, I don't feel for the guys that come on here and just ask for them!

If someone popped on here and said, I'm having real problems getting a permission. Does anyone have any hints or tips on what I should do? This is what I'm doing......Is this the right way to go about getting a permission?

For that person, hat's off, I'll help out how best I can. However, if someone comes on here with a sob story and it's clear their agenda is to get permissions and nothing more, they can [insert expletive].

The real problem for me, is that I have made a post about how to get permissions, and spent a long time doing so. There are permission slips, liability wavers, and insurance info on this site. There are shooting clubs all around, and that's 1000x more productive at meeting shooters and getting intro's to farmers! However, instead they just post and say 'give me a permission.'

One of the lads on here worked nearly weekly to get a permission. It took him 5 YEARS. I'll say that again in capitals, again, so you know it wasn't a typo.....FIVE YEARS!!! He has something like 1600 acres to shoot on! I would say lucky-bugger, but it wasn't luck, it was 5 years of effort.

This site is about hunters. The easy part is taking the shot and killing the quarry. The hard part is hunting the perm's down and bagging them. The joy of hunting is the conclusion of all the hard work.

Oh, and you know that car you worked every weekend for, getting rejected all round, for five years....do you mind if I take it out for a jolly? I might wreck it for you. You don't know me from Adam, but it's okay to ask, right? We should be encouraging people to ask, right?

I get where you're coming from, but there are VERY different ways to dealing with noobs asking for permissions. There are threads out there to help them out to save the embarrassment of asking online. There are shooting clubs to get them in touch with other shooters and hunters. There are farmers markets out there. Farmer's forums. Maybe even farms, where they can ask for permissions.

It really is the equivalent of going on a car forum and asking if you can drive someone's car.