I got a message from a mate earlier today..asking me what the newly hatched chick's where that he found on his garden path..they was also a egg on the path partially hatched the egg gave the game away and they are house sparrow's but god know's where the nest is.. anyway i rushed them into my indoor aviary and put 1 each under a sitting mule hen and would you believe it the mules sat straight on them.. :boogy: ... my only worry is that they where a bit cold and weak.. if these hen's warm them up they may well pull through.. ;) ..i'll keep anyone interested informed..

• Like 4

You're best off knocking them on the head mate. I would be extrordinarily surprised if the birds would feed them as the sparrows gape is completely different to finches. They need a high protein, insect rich, diet. The best thing you could do is hand rear them using dog food/baked beans etc. I've reared a good few. Good luck, they're gonna need it.

• Like 1

There in the hand's of the god's now matey..i don't have the time of patience to hand rear them..but them goldie mule's are good feeder's and i would try some different food in there but i also have Goldfinch chick's under mules which are my main priority.. :thumbs:

I've just released a wild sparrow who was weaned over to seed whilst in my care and it was reared on Ultra Bird rearing food and it did fine on it hence the release :thumbs: ,i've a 4 day old bully chick under a goldie mule and their gape and wobbly head is a test for any bird but she's doing ok so far....Hope i haven't just jinx'd it now.but at least your trying with them so fare play mate :victory: .

• Like 1

Just tried ti feed one with a pipette mixed with egg food and dog food and i may well have choked and killed it.. :cray: .. it's not for me this hand rearing malarky what happen's.. happen's from now on.

Millet; Ye not supposed to hold them by the throat when ye feed them! :rolleyes:

Actually; One of the most incredible stories I'll ever read; Young girl and her bloke are walking through a park, yeah? Then come across, on the footpath, what the photo suggested to be a few day old chick, about the size of ye thumb nail.

Now, this girl had never read the book. She decided; " F**k this! It's fell out of a nest? I'll take it home and look after it. "

Stupid? Futile? An impulse born of total ignorance of the way of things? Yep. Ye'd think so.

Except that later photo's showed a perfectly formed, adult Goldfinch. And there they are, asking;

" We think it might be called a 'Goldfinch'? " :icon_eek:

• Like 1

And to top it off i rung 2 goldie chick's earlier.. i checked 1hr later and one was missing.. the bitch had flung it out of the nest by it's back by the blood on it.. luckily i found it still alive in the opposite side of the aviary floor... once i had warmed it up in my hand i was in a bit of a dilemma what to do.. i cranked the polyhatch incubator up straight away while the chick was warming in my hand but it is set at 37.5C .. which slung me again as that is for hatching egg's and for day old chick's who are constantly under that heat up until 3/4wk's.. (Quail wise)

Anyway fook my head was damaged enough so i have put it under the mule hen that is doing ok with it's sibling and she has sat on it good for now.. await my wrist slitting update tomorrow.. :D

• Like 2

I've just released a wild sparrow who was weaned over to seed whilst in my care and it was reared on Ultra Bird rearing food and it did fine on it hence the release :thumbs: ,i've a 4 day old bully chick under a goldie mule and their gape and wobbly head is a test for any bird but she's doing ok so far....Hope i haven't just jinx'd it now.but at least your trying with them so fare play mate :victory: .

Well i jinx'd it and found it dead on the aviary floor this morning,fecking birds are breaking my heart this year and be glad to see the end of the season now :cray:

Well to day is good new's so far all the sparrow chick's are still alive and the little Goldfinch chick i found on the floor half dead seem's to be doing ok for now with it's new mam and brother.. :D

• Like 1

Well to day is good new's so far all the sparrow chick's are still alive and the little Goldfinch chick i found on the floor half dead seem's to be doing ok for now with it's new mam and brother.. :D

We'll all except the one you choked to death :cray: .............