Why Do Coursing Men Go Through So Many Pups?

some people keep lurcher an others keep lodgers if the don't work there out the door

to move more in the door ?? if i could,nt make a decent dog i would be questioning my self not the dogs , mine are here to stay if there second best then there my second best,and its my fault not the dogs,buying in pup after pup from what you think is the best wont do you or your ego any good if you dont put the time in, know your dog,when its ready ,when its not,and patience most of all jmo mc

I wouldn't buy a pup of anyone I breed my own an I wouldn't start a pup early I don't set my sights high thinking everything going be a world beater im happy enough with something that honest but if they make mistakes im not sentimental I don't keep pets

wasnt directed at you mate just owners in general , i dont keep pets either ,except for the wifes poodle :laugh: out of curiousity,what do you class as mistakes ??? atb mc

picking what it going to run, slowing up at a hedge or gates. turning an running down the side of a fence instead going over it..all pups make mistakes an I wouldn't be hard on one as long as there improving

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny you should say that Phil. I never considered myself the slightest bit competitive until I started coursing: it brought out the very worst in me. I used to be a nervous wreck before meetings, whe

More young dogs destroyed by running too soon, over running. Man has bred these coursing dogs who literally run themselves into the ground rather than stop: no wonder so many are ruined both physicall

Nowadays it's all about 'ME': and not only in working dog circles. You only have to look at the indignities some pet dogs are subjected to, especially the toy breeds. Larger breeds are often status sy

That's true. I lost two dogs on the fens, fatally injured when they broke their backs in big dykes, and they were experienced dogs too. Shit can happen at any time to even the best: the harder the dog tries, the more likely it is to injure or kill itself. You see very few dogs over the age of 5 running regularly, though a friend of mine, who runs his dogs very hard, and conditions them like no one else I've seen, had a couple of bitches which were still running at 9 or 10 years old. A rarity indeed.

More dogs are permanently damaged through being run unfit than anything else. Most of today's novices to the game just don't know how much work is involved in getting a dog truly hare fit. It's not just a matter of biking the dog for a couple of weeks before running it.

I do not and will not push any of my pups, even on rabbits, got no time for any of the egotistical bollocks in competetive coursing either. I've been called 'too cautious' and accused of wrapping my dogs in cotton wool for too long or whatever, doesn't bother me. Obviously now and again a youngster will run the odd rabbit when out on a walk, but none of my dogs have been entered on anything until they are physically and mentally ready. All dogs will pick up injuries now and again, but none of mine have ever been damaged by being run too young.

P S, not having a dig at you personally skycat lol

I know you weren't, but mine were not injured by being run too young: just bad luck, hard driven dogs who misjudged their jumps, or maybe wrong footed on take off or landing. Any dog can make a mistake, and unfortunately mistakes on big drains or dykes are sometimes fatal.

The earliest I've ever put a dog on a hare was at 14 months, and that was a very small bitch who matured early. Even during my competitive days I've been known to withdraw a dog from the next round if it had had a tanking or got on extra hares while it was coming back to me and I felt that it would have done the dog no good to have to run again that day. I would have been spitting blood at pulling a dog out, :laugh: to be sure, but I always think of them first, no matter what.

People who brag that their dog went on to run again and again even though it was pissing blood: they're the sort who don't deserve to run or own dogs. Small wonder not many coursing dogs last for more than 2 or 3 years.

• Like 7

It's simple not all performance bred animals make the grade. You can breed a litter of pups off the best workers in the world and some of them turn out and some don't,it's the same for pigeons , horses , camels whatever. Obviously the better bred stuff will have a higher percentage that do make it.You can raise a litter of pups and only you have a hand in there upbringing some will make it some won't so you can't always blame the owner. As for those that don't make the grade well that's upto the owner to decide what he wants to do with them. Re homing in an ideal world would be fine but how many go to permanent homes? Most will end up on the Lurcher merry go round getting passed from pillar to post and some will be bred from even though they aren't up to the grade. Grades again play a part also as some have higher standards than others,somebody might not rate a dog but the man down the street thinks it's a world beater.

• Like 4

My theory is this,them fecking hares have an habit of making some of these top jukels look second rate,at times,thus breed another to outwit and outrun the big eared baskets,the captive and naïve audience that coursing long-dogs have an habit of entrapping and tempting out from their ego,are a ready market for the next best thing,especially if you throw in a little arithmatic,3 out of 3 and 2 and its out of the door mentality.The breeders of these overpriced and underused running machines have an habit of parting young and old ego,s from their hard earned brass.Otherwise how the feck do so many of these best bred youngsters ever need improving on,its like adverts for washing powder,every time a new improved formula comes on the market,a better one is not long in the production line.

• Like 2

My theory is this,them fecking hares have an habit of making some of these top jukels look second rate,at times,thus breed another to outwit and outrun the big eared baskets,the captive and naïve audience that coursing long-dogs have an habit of entrapping and tempting out from their ego,are a ready market for the next best thing,especially if you throw in a little arithmatic,3 out of 3 and 2 and its out of the door mentality.The breeders of these overpriced and underused running machines have an habit of parting young and old ego,s from their hard earned brass.Otherwise how the feck do so many of these best bred youngsters ever need improving on,its like adverts for washing powder,every time a new improved formula comes on the market,a better one is not long in the production line.

:thumbs: hares have evolved lately did ya not here............... :laugh:

• Like 1

morton you are spot on before the ban there were better hare dogs and men who new how to run them but distant memories for some now its all about the money for some

Edited by fluff

The coursing field was known for a little friendly competition and comradery,looser paid for the fuel or a fry up and became the butt of friendly ridicule until the next running joust.Many a useful mutt was gifted to a like minded soul and pups were given away to the lads on the field,gifting a pup to a competitor or mucker was done with a sense of pride and achievement,you knew you had the dogs bollocks in the kennel.Now its about ego,s,numbers and ego,s,it was never like that,well not often,the dollar sorts out the Coursing men from the real coursers,always did.

• Like 1