Why Do Coursing Men Go Through So Many Pups?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny you should say that Phil. I never considered myself the slightest bit competitive until I started coursing: it brought out the very worst in me. I used to be a nervous wreck before meetings, whe

More young dogs destroyed by running too soon, over running. Man has bred these coursing dogs who literally run themselves into the ground rather than stop: no wonder so many are ruined both physicall

Nowadays it's all about 'ME': and not only in working dog circles. You only have to look at the indignities some pet dogs are subjected to, especially the toy breeds. Larger breeds are often status sy

Its because nature has has bred a better animal than us humans have done for a 1,000 plus years, and its only a sixth of the size of a 60lb dog, but you could always keep your dog for a few years untill it learns its trade, or just say the dog is shite and get another pup for next year, and so it goes on.

• Like 3

Its because nature has has bred a better animal than us humans have done for a 1,000 plus years, and its only a sixth of the size of a 60lb dog, but you could always keep your dog for a few years untill it learns its trade, or just say the dog is shite and get another pup for next year, and so it goes on.

so it goes on.........have the hares got better...how come yrs ago if ya had an oul 1/2 dog it done you rightly..or is it money :hmm:

• Like 1

you know and I know ,its not worth discussing really is it, those that do that will continue to do so as long as people will sell to them and that's always gunna happen, sad but true

Edited by arcticgun

the truth is IF BREEDING was so SIMPLE, (((( by putting the best to the best, WE would all be walking around with the best dog ever, BUT nature just does not give her gems up easily, just look at the greyhound, breeding situation, they are supposed to breed from the best dogs, since track racing began, truth is some pups maybe 30% will make the grade of open racers, and some will not even qualify on the local flapping track, and sometimes they wont even chase the bunny, getting back to the coursing situation, patience is a virtue, The pup must have the minerals, then its up to the handler, to educate the sappling to the countryside, good walks everyday allow the pup to be a pup,allow him freedom on your walks, let him get his nose down, then do you slip when he is 12 months???? 14 months, let them in on the good end with another good dog, and so on, but a lot of people, do not have the patiences for all that, they are looking for the ready made item, and by the time they are 17 months old if they are not doing what they think they should be doing, then that youngster is sold on or passed on to some one else and the merry go round about has begun, Again not all owners are in that mould, they work with there dogs, A good handler can see his dog/bitch, maturing improving, gaining strength, fitness, in truth the first year, running say from 14 months up, they are are only learning there craft, really only learning, how to use that elasticated body and legs to the full,balance strike, running clever, Again, when a dog has had a hard run, its knowing when to put them back onto the lead, or give him another, A RUN TOO FAR,

• Like 8

More young dogs destroyed by running too soon, over running. Man has bred these coursing dogs who literally run themselves into the ground rather than stop: no wonder so many are ruined both physically and mentally before they are 2 years old as too many are owned by people whose egos are bigger than their brains.

• Like 13