• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HMP.Crumlin rd jail belfast 1970s ....brewed in fire exthinquishers lol.

Eighteen types of Apple went into it ! I let some of my two year old trees keep a couple of Apple's on them so that I could make a small batch. I worked it out yesterday that after this year's two y

Just mixed a fruit cider. ..first attempt. If all goes well should work out at 40p a pint at 6% . Anyone on here recommend owt for a beginner to try? Atb sesku

Posted Images

Cheere matt and brewman im going to get them soaking now and hopefully my brew wont be ruined by tommorow when i bottle. I just pressed the lid of the bucket and there is still gas in there would that be a sign that it might still be ok and will secondry ferment? Im a week and a day past the week recomended in the fermenting bucket . If it does secondry ferment when bottled will it be any different to a same batch that was bottled in the recomended week. Cheers again lads its great to be able to get advice of people way more experienced!!

If you have a hydrometer use that for a reading. It won't do any harm leaving a brew on for a week more than the destructions say, I've left them for upto 3 weeks and they've tasted all right.

The same brew will take different times as the temp will never be totally consistent but if you use the same ingredients and sugars it should be the same.

It'll taste different the longer you leave it after its bottled for secondary fermentation.

Leave it in the bottles for a couple of weeks before tasting then taste one a week for a couple of weeks or so then you'll know how long to leave for your taste preference.

I keep a brew diary for every brew even putting in the weekly tasters for reference. Hope this helps.

To make 'proper' zider, you need a pulper and a press and lot's of time.

What you end up with is an astonishingly good scrumpy, but nothing like the commercial ciders available.

The advantage of kits is that you can be drinking your own stuff, for less than 50p per pint within weeks.

The 'On the Rocks' cider kits are simple to use and make, and although there is some initial outlay for equipment, the cost is easily recouped from the savings you make on commercial ciders.

The kits use concentrated apple juice; you just add water, sugar and the yeast (supplied in the kit). Once initial fermentation is complete, you add in some extra flavouring and a little more sugar and it finishes in the bottle or barrel.

And, for those of you who think that using concentrated apple is somehow cheating, bear in mind that most of the popular commercial brands use exactly the same thing :yes:

I'll be putting a cider kit on myself in the next few weeks; I'll take some pictures and do a write up on the blog.

I'm also intending making some 'proper' cider later in the year which I'll try and document.

I think I posted some links earlier in this thread; if you need more, please do ask :thumbs:

Thanks for that,I've plenty of apples to get later,I'm looking into a pulper and a press,unless I can find someone to press for me.

Depending on how much you're willing to spend and the quantity of apples that need pulped some people use a garden shredder so you might save money there.

Vigo is a good website, pricey gear but you get what you pay for.

Cheere matt and brewman im going to get them soaking now and hopefully my brew wont be ruined by tommorow when i bottle. I just pressed the lid of the bucket and there is still gas in there would that be a sign that it might still be ok and will secondry ferment? Im a week and a day past the week recomended in the fermenting bucket . If it does secondry ferment when bottled will it be any different to a same batch that was bottled in the recomended week. Cheers again lads its great to be able to get advice of people way more experienced!!

If you have a hydrometer use that for a reading. It won't do any harm leaving a brew on for a week more than the destructions say, I've left them for upto 3 weeks and they've tasted all right.

The same brew will take different times as the temp will never be totally consistent but if you use the same ingredients and sugars it should be the same.

It'll taste different the longer you leave it after its bottled for secondary fermentation.

Leave it in the bottles for a couple of weeks before tasting then taste one a week for a couple of weeks or so then you'll know how long to leave for your taste preference.

I keep a brew diary for every brew even putting in the weekly tasters for reference. Hope this helps.

i ended up going to the brew shop and buying bottles, i tought by the time i soak clean ect be easier to just buy and sterilise. The lad at the shop reconed the longer its left it the fermenting vessel the better so was glad to hear that. Still have a problem now waiting to buy a big plastic storage box to sterlise all bottles at once so hopefully nothing else will pop up and itl be bottled by the weekend. The antisipation is killing me ha. Cheers for the post brewman great info and tip there much appricated.

a cheap and pretty tasty alternative is to make a turbo cider from carton apple juice. the cheap supermarkets own brands make a perfectly acceptable drink.

ive 5 gallon made that ive being drinking and its pretty good. its real easy to make and without adding any sugar (theres enough in the juice) it comes out at roughly 5%

if its a little too dry when finished just put a teaspoon full of an artificial sweetener like splenda in your pint glass and pour you turbo cider into it. its spot on and a very easy drink.

23 litres apple juice

1 cup of real strong tea (for the tannins) give it its bite

1 packet of youngs cider yeast.

you can add a little lemon juice if you want but i never bother.

if you want it stronger just add 1kg of sugar.

this will take approx two weeks to ferment out and then bottle using 1 teaspoon of sugar per pint to carb it up. clears and ready to drink in two weeks (4 weeks total)

• Like 1