I have recently (last fortnight) started feeding my dogs on meat and bone only as opposed to meat, bone, veg, brown pasta, brown bread after a conversation with a friend who works at a hunt kennels. I have also discussed this at length with a canine nutritionist.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to feed our dogs and I aren't sure if it's going to be better or worse and don't really know what to expect but it's just a bit of an experiment. I don't think the veggies will make a lot of difference but I think they benefit from the carbs.

They are currently getting chicken carcass, turkey necks, lamb racks, beef heart, lambs liver, green tripe, fatty beef off cuts, chicken mince, lamb mince, skinned and gutted rabbit, whole trout.

Does anyone else feed this way without the addition of veg and carbs?

• Like 1

I did for a good while next door to me was a butcher and was bringing me back carrier bags full of meat for the dogs plus they were getting any game chuck outs. They looked ok on it tbh but the coursing dog didn't look his best on it he seemed to do better with complete mixed with beef or chicken but the others all looked well enough.

By only feeding meat you are depriving the dog of essential vitamins such as vit A vit C etc ..... However if I had to feed only veg or only meat I would feed only meat ... I can easily add veg to their diet so I do ........

I did for a good while next door to me was a butcher and was bringing me back carrier bags full of meat for the dogs plus they were getting any game chuck outs. They looked ok on it tbh but the coursing dog didn't look his best on it he seemed to do better with complete mixed with beef or chicken but the others all looked well enough.

I think the coursing types definitely need something to bulk them up a bit. A few lads have said the same. My red bitch has got a good dose of saluki in her but I will be monitoring them closely.

It's more of an experiment than anything.

The most noticeable thing so far is that they are doing next to no shit. 1 very small stool a day while out on a walk.

By only feeding meat you are depriving the dog of essential vitamins such as vit A vit C etc ..... However if I had to feed only veg or only meat I would feed only meat ... I can easily add veg to their diet so I do ........

I said what you've said above a long time ago Ken and I was corrected by someone on here, which started me looking into nutrition more.

Between organ meat and green tripe there isn't a vitamin, mineral or amino acid missing from what I can gather.

That is partly true but it all depends on how the animal was raised and what it was fed on as to what healthy vitamins the green tripe possesses ... If you can guarantee that the cow the tripe came from was organically raised then you will get a decent spectrum of vitamins ... If it wasn't the first two vitamins to fall off are vit C and vit E ... Again it takes seconds for me to add these so rather than take the chance I add them ........

• Like 2

That is partly true but it all depends on how the animal was raised and what it was fed on as to what healthy vitamins the green tripe possesses ... If you can guarantee that the cow the tripe came from was organically raised then you will get a decent spectrum of vitamins ... If it wasn't the first two vitamins to fall off are vit C and vit E ... Again it takes seconds for me to add these so rather than take the chance I add them ........

Fair point that :thumbs:

• Like 1

vitamin c and e in the form of what ?

The problem with giving 'captive' animals only one type of food is that they don't, or seldom, have the opportunity to supplement their diet as a wild predator would do. I have certainly noticed that my dogs graze much more greedily on plants: grass, spinach in the garden, cabbage etc when I don't add veg to their diet. In the wild a carnivore has access to any amount of other foodstuffs it may need from time to time, so unless your dog is living in an area where it can behave like a wild dog then we have to add what they miss from feeding them in a domestic setting.

As far as carbs are concerned, a lot depends on the make up of the dog, its breeding, its type and how it originally evolved. Saluki types often do better on more carbs than some other types. I did read somewhere that dogs of Asian origin are more likely to be wheat intolerant than Western breeds: again, this could be down to the fact that the Asian dogs evolved alongside their humans to cope with a diet containing rice rather than wheat. Unfortunately I don't have any proof of this, but it makes sense.

Also, domestic dogs fed entirely on meat and bones, without the fur or feathers to act as fibre in the diet, may be more likely to suffer from constipation than if they were getting whole carcases, skin included.

Another point: and again, I can't substantiate this, for I don't have all the details, but I saw hounds in my younger days when I hunted with various packs around the country, which had really bad coats, dull and staring, and I know for a fact that they were fed entirely on fallen stock. They never had any other type of food but meat and bone. This might indicate a lack in the diet, and I do know that my own dogs look far better when fed a mixed diet which includes carbs and fresh vet along with their meat and bone and offal.

• Like 4

vitamin c and e in the form of what ?
What do you mean in the form of what ??? ........

You could try feeding pasture fed beef liver instead of the lambs liver, as there's more vits and minerals in pasture fed beef liver than there is in some fruit and veg,

also leave the jacket on the rabbits, as the fur can help the digestion.

http://chriskresser.com/natures-most-potent-superfood

you could also look at keepers mix as well.

Im struggling to get my pup to eat anything but meat, he's not interested in buscuits or veg anymore now he's had a taste of meat id prefer for him to eat veg aswel with him been only ten weeks but he just leaves it

Pups are often like kids: won't eat their veg :laugh: Try adding very lightly cooked veg mashed up: bit of carrots, peas, greens, but only a tiny bit and well mashed in with the meat. Most pups get less fussy as they get older.

• Like 2