Pup Hunting Up

A little confused on this , my lads 12 months had a few bits, he loves to use his nose. A few lads say it's a issue and needs nipping in the bud. But then some say it's what I want him doing, went out for a mooch the other day and all 3 runs were cause of murph using his nose and putting game up, only problem I have is when he gets a scent he has no recall, plus point if I take him out with me mates dogs he follows the pack, i.e. he calls his dogs in mine follows , in a nutshell do I let him carry on hunting up or keep him on a slip

It can only really be your own call, in my opinion.

I personally rely on the hunting side of any dog, for me its all about letting the dog work naturally, I like to see them work on scent, and find their own game... sounds like you need to do some more work with recall etc but make sure 100% with livestock, at least if thats perfect you can be sure to remain good friends with the farmer or landowner.

• Like 2

working a dog in day time, theres a fine line to draw,,,, some folk think letting there dogs off the lead and work his day time hunting, yes hit his,, but you don't blank the dog, and just let hit work hits tits off,,, that's called out of control,,,,, that's why a lot of dogs hunt up on the 1 st trip out on the lamp,,,,, what I do his let the pup the odd time in day time see rabbits on a hedge,,,etc,,, let the pup run out them knowing hits not going to catch them,,, when the pup gets to the hedge,,, call hit strait back,,, and come here means fackin come here,, this saves all shouting etc etc at nite time,,,,,

Edited by tjones3862

I like my dog to hunt up in daylight [iam normally just mooching in daylight] but not on the lamp, iam lucky that she does this naturely, good recall and knowing what the word NO means are essential ,other wise as tjones say,s its out of control. Basic training again mate, its boreing at times but needs must.

• Like 1

12 month whip sal grey Wheaton, going to be more lamping because of work, just bunnies at the minute. Taking him out once a week just trying to get him some easy runs, problem is if there's to many about he hunts up, but there's a few fields with the odd bunny I give him a slip. Was nice taking him out in the day and let him do his thing, just that recall

personally i dont let my pups chase anything, or even get amongst a bit of scent, until their recall is spot on, and then i gradually expose them to quarry. once a dog learns just how thrilling it is to hunt stuff, and thousands of years of selective breeding is switched on, it becomes very very hard to compete against this to get good recall, so for me the best option is to completely brainwash them before they even develop any real hunting drive. even my grown dogs i will call them back when we are out, give them a pat then send them off again, just to always keep it in their heads

• Like 4

I take her to the local cricket pitch as its got no scent at all on it compared to the fields round an about. I also use the 50' lunge style leads off ebay too, this works well.

Edit: I wonder if some Saluki blood is behind this as back in the day, they seem to be set on desert hares and left to run followed up on horse or jeep these days. Not sure if this is the case but it might be. Saluki have strong lungs and stamina and more independence

Edited by NickF

There's several ways of training a pup which involve hunting up: you can go out with several dogs (like your mate's dogs) and let the dog learn the ropes like that, but it only works if you do recall/bonding training with your dog on your own, or what you said happens when he follows your mate's dogs will happen all the time. This is because dogs are pack animals, and it is instinct for him to put himself with the pack, no matter what you say or do: if you get annoyed with the dog or shout at it you are only proving to the dog that you have no idea of what packs are all about.

I even get pet dogs follow my pack when I'm out bushing, because even though they've never really hunted in their lives, instinct tells them that being in the pack is the best place to be.

If you want to let your pup run with your mate's dogs, then you have to get a really close bond with your dog first, and I'd suggest taking him out alone, to where you know there will be rabbits, but FIRST you get him on your side. In other words, you need for him to see you as the one that leads your own little pack: just you and him. That's still a pack, but you need to be in charge, and you do this by making yourself the most interesting and exciting place to be.

Before ever letting a pup hunt up alone, while you tag along like a spare part, you need to make sure that the pup sees you as the one who shows him where the rabbits are, where the fun is. You can do this by getting an old rabbit skin, dried, and doing 'find it' games, where you put the dog in a stay (or tie it to a fence or tree) while you go out and hide the skin in long grass, while the pup watches you. You then go back to the dog and encourage him to find it: make it easy the first few times, and help him out if necessary by calling him in the right direction. Make the game progressively harder by hiding the skin further away once he's got the hang of it. Hide it just inside a bramble, or in a clump of nettles, making sure that he can get it quite easily.

What you are doing here is involving both of you in a game which leads to a reward. The fact that the dog can see you hiding the skin means that he knows your are part of the game. This is important.

However, there comes a time in all young dogs' lives when you have to enforce the recall, once his prey drive really kicks in. If you have trained the pup properly through games and fun, (rather than just shouting at it for hunting, and in effect, trying to squash his drive) you'll end up with a dog that sees you as someone useful who takes him to where the real rabbits are, and not just someone who freaks out and shouts at him every time he hunts up.

You should also play tug games with him: this will help him to see you as someone who understands his prey drive. Dogs which have been trained like this are much easier to handle, because they associate coming to you with having the best time of their lives.

I can send you the tug training articles I wrote which explain all the rules of this game, which is of prime importance as it is not just a matter of playing tug of war with the dog, but using a carefully structured programme. It helps with both recall and retrieving, as well as making an unshakeable bond between you.

PM me with your email if you want to read the articles, which I'm continually updating.

• Like 5

personally i dont let my pups chase anything, or even get amongst a bit of scent, until their recall is spot on, and then i gradually expose them to quarry. once a dog learns just how thrilling it is to hunt stuff, and thousands of years of selective breeding is switched on, it becomes very very hard to compete against this to get good recall, so for me the best option is to completely brainwash them before they even develop any real hunting drive. even my grown dogs i will call them back when we are out, give them a pat then send them off again, just to always keep it in their heads

i do the exact same and works well and as said it keeps it fresh in there heads

• Like 2