Garmin Alpha Or Astro ??

As above really what's is the easiest to use is there a uk supplier to stop me getting stung with import tax and are the collars tough enough for heavy use ?? Anybody's dog ever broke the collars ?? Also is there a way of using it so there isn't so much "evidence" of where the dogs have been ?

Basically looking for some honest reviews on either unit by people that have abit of experiance with them as I just know a gps system would come in handy (I wish for one every time the dogs disappear into heavy cover just as the lights fading ) but I've got a feeling I'm missing something.

I have the astro 320. You won't break the collar, it's a top-class bit of kit. Find the dog anywhere. Don't buy a second hand one, buy a brand new one from the states....mail a few people on ebay and see what deals they can do you. I rate mine very highly indeed.

I have had the Astro 320 and now the Alpha 100....both good bits of kit but the alpha a lot better ,can do a lot more ,E.G the ping time from collar to sat to you is a lot quicker ?(2.5 Sec Alpha ,5sec Astro) ,hence lot more accurate when you need it fast lol.........

I have the alpha, you can use him anywere. i lost one of my collars [BANNED TEXT] a dog went to ground and was stuck wit the collar behind some roots.

you can look back on where your dogs have been and i dont think you can put this off. but you can delete this if you want and start a "new hunt"

i didnt buy it on ebay but at a locat shop, this is a bit more expensive but you get some warranty and can order small parts if an antenna or something is broken or if you want extra collars. plus you dont have to pay before delivery and someone. with paying on the internet you Always have the risk you dont get your stuff

on the alpha are lots of things i dont use. but i thought the range would be a bit better than the astro because of an other frequency and i know some lads with a astro and lose contact with there dogs a bit to fast sometimes.

• 2 years later...

I have the astro 320. You won't break the collar, it's a top-class bit of kit. Find the dog anywhere. Don't buy a second hand one, buy a brand new one from the states....mail a few people on ebay and see what deals they can do you. I rate mine very highly indeed.

Got one of these on order, do you use the TOPO maps on an SD card or just use it as it comes?

I've got the 320 Astro and T5 collars turn it on calibrate compass and your away personally think the T5 Collar is a bit big for the dogs as the T5 mini works just as good and is smaller and more compact ? A question for people who already use them do you keep the hand set on all the time your out mooching or turn it on when the dogs are gone for a short while

• Like 1