Rescue Dogs

Thanks Dengil,I'm heading to Woburn tomorrow morning. I'll have my terrier in tow and just to hope to see somenlurchers. I have always used dogs with the gun. To effectively use them as catch dogs is an amazing experience. If I can put an unwanted dog to use al the better.

And I hope to use a lurcher as part of my own personal fitness regime.

• Like 1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try Lurcher link Tozer a lot of dog's including younger dog's find there way there through no fault of there own..and anyone who take's a rescue dog on and try's there best with it and stick's with it

Hi Tozer from my own experience i'm very happy with the rescue dog i got but may have been lucky. She is a deerhound cross and was a cracking looking bitch when she was younger. All I knew of her was

If you see a dog that interests you on Lurcher Link, let me know. I help to organise the re homing for Kaye, who runs the rescue so can take you through the steps.

The dog, whether from a rescue or pup, is what you make of it. you know you've find the right dog (not just off breeding etc) by instinct, and when you get that click there's nothing better. Many of the dogs are there probably through some owners not being able to connect, the dog not learning fast enough etc, so easy to get rid than have a bit of patience. 90% of lurchers have the instinct to sight and collect! it's whether you can get them confident to do it for you. Best of luck finding your new dog, if you go for a rescue, just think on if the dog doesn't do it, would you be keeping not fair to rehome it again? try greyhound rescue they also have many lurchers, whippet etc on there. Good luck! :)

• Like 1

If you see a dog that interests you on Lurcher Link, let me know. I help to organise the re homing for Kaye, who runs the rescue so can take you through the steps.

There are 2 now, I'll pm you the links.

Believe it or not i also know Kaye.. lol .. regardless of that go for it Tozer.. :boogy:

Gawd, Millet, I know you know her! I just didn't want him to make random contact on the site because not everyone on there is ok about hunting and I hoped to make things easy. Plus it'll get passed on to me to sort out anyway so I thought this'd be quicker... Wasn't meaning to step on your toes...

• Like 2

I've had 2 rescue dogs,the first was not best I've had but the most obedient and could work all day,the second was crap and a walking vets bill.

you'll never own the dog yourself it will be joint owned with the rescue,and they usually have the right to take it back.

also if it turned out you had a 1 in a million dog would you not want a pup off it?

I originally had ideas of breeding liking the idea of my own dogs. In rwality looking on lucher link is enough to put me off that idea.

I have always had concerns because I associate neutered dogs as being over weight lumbering things. But if I put the effort in it seems the consensus is it will make little differenc.

I originally had ideas of breeding liking the idea of my own dogs. In rwality looking on lucher link is enough to put me off that idea.

I have always had concerns because I associate neutered dogs as being over weight lumbering things. But if I put the effort in it seems the consensus is it will make little differenc.

I judged the Lurcherlink show last week. Some of the dogs up for rehoming were at the show, and i must say that all were neutered and not one of them was overweight or in a poor condition. Its down to how they are kept, and Kaye does a fantastic job.

• Like 4

Gawd, Millet, I know you know her! I just didn't want him to make random contact on the site because not everyone on there is ok about hunting and I hoped to make things easy. Plus it'll get passed on to me to sort out anyway so I thought this'd be quicker... Wasn't meaning to step on your toes...

I am in no way on earth having a go at you Scallywag.. i would be a fool to do that to any of the Lurcher link team..you's deserve all the help and praise you can get.. :victory:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if any of you lads can help me I've just got a new dog 5 month old brindle lurcher and it's never seen a rabbit in its life it carnt jump nothing etc is it even possible to get it to corse or am I wasting my time someone give me advise ..

I'm wondering if any of you lads can help me I've just got a new dog 5 month old brindle lurcher and it's never seen a rabbit in its life it carnt jump nothing etc is it even possible to get it to corse or am I wasting my time someone give me advise ..

You should put up a separate post to ask your question. But a quick answer would be that at 5 months your pup is only a baby still, and couldn't be expected to catch a rabbit or jump much higher than your knee: maybe you should have a read through some of the post on here under lurcher discussion, or the health and training section. Obviously this is your first dog or you'd understand that a 5 month old pup is still growing and that your time will be best spent on getting a good bond with the pup, training it, with the help of either training classes or someone who is willing to give you the help you need.

• Like 2

I'm in a similar position mate. Currently fostering a pooch that looks the part, is quicker than shit through a goose and shows interest in fluffies but been trying to teach him recall and it is bloody nigh impossible. Tried treats, toys, praise the lot just can't get his attention just think he is a bit of a dick. Other than that he awesome.