Rescue Dogs

Got it mate and tried. End up reeling him in like a cod. Would have more luck training the rabbits to jump in my bag and stretch their own necks. Will persevere tho but he is only a foster would keep him if I could use him but think I'm better getting a pup or one that is half way there. Not much choice on the Isle of Wight tho. Constantly on the classifieds here but most are up north.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try Lurcher link Tozer a lot of dog's including younger dog's find there way there through no fault of there own..and anyone who take's a rescue dog on and try's there best with it and stick's with it

Hi Tozer from my own experience i'm very happy with the rescue dog i got but may have been lucky. She is a deerhound cross and was a cracking looking bitch when she was younger. All I knew of her was

If you see a dog that interests you on Lurcher Link, let me know. I help to organise the re homing for Kaye, who runs the rescue so can take you through the steps.

You need to get yourself a very long rope

Nobby.

Every time he ignores you give it a quick yank and repeat you command. .

personally I don't like the idea. .can just imagine what would happen if dog running at full pelt? Break it's neck. .

a bit off topic but ive also been told about a rottie x newfoundland pup 7mths male about 27/28tts looks like a big rottie... will be sent to pound soon as owner dumped it on his ex and she doesnt want it (both of em are full c**ts)

• 2 weeks later...

Got it mate and tried. End up reeling him in like a cod. Would have more luck training the rabbits to jump in my bag and stretch their own necks. Will persevere tho but he is only a foster would keep him if I could use him but think I'm better getting a pup or one that is half way there. Not much choice on the Isle of Wight tho. Constantly on the classifieds here but most are up north.

I use one of these when out; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSHION-WEBBING-LEAD-LUNGE-REIN-LONG-LINE-LEAD-HORSE-DOG-TRAINING-TRACKING-/111069154834?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&var=&hash=item5f805c99ec

Start recall training in doors along the corridor first with lots of good quality treats, each time it comes to you and it will as your indoors with food, let it scent the treat in your hand then ask it to sit by raising your hand. Do this a few times. When you go out with it on one of these leads, do the same. I go to the local cricket pitch as there is little scent if any.

Ive had mine lift me off my feet with one of these leads and no damage. Great bit of kit for young dogs IMHO. Good luck mate.

I had a rescue dog too and she was good as gold, young when i got her, I wouldnt rescue an older lurcher

I've got a rescue. Pretty sure he's mainly whippet grey. i reckon hes between 3 and 6 years old. Hes keen to please, obedient, great with the kids, quick as feck and fearless but has a lot more downsides than my other 2 that ive had from pups. He's got awfully low stamina, worse than your average whippet grey. He is beyond help around stock of any sort, but his worst trait is his ability to pick rabbits up. took a whole season of perseverance just to stop the wild overshooting which he doesnt do anymore. He'll be all over every rabbit you slip him on now but always somehow manages to keep missing with his strike. Dont think ive ever had more than 3 rabbits with him in a night but uaually im happy with one or two, compared to my other dogs who almost always get at least 6. Who knows, maybe he'll improve some more this season but i cant see him ever being any good.

Also as someone said, i havent got anywhere near the same bond with him that i have with the other 2 but hes part of the family now all the same. From my own experience my advise would be to get a pup from proven workers. They need good homes just as much as shelter dogs do. You could be saving that pup from ending up in the hands of an idiot. But thats just my opinion whichever you choose you sound like youll give it a decent home.

good luck

• Like 1