Rescue Dogs

I have done a lot of reading, this cross and that, pro's and cons.

I have realised that I am not wanting anything exceptional.

As long as it fast enough to catch a rabbit and a bit of mooching.

I have been debating taking one on from a home. Has anyone else done this?

It is kind of chicken and egg; if I get a pup it will be preventing a dog from potentially eneding up in s home.

It is also awkward not mentioning to them what it is for. Obviously wouldn't been keen on using the RSPCA.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try Lurcher link Tozer a lot of dog's including younger dog's find there way there through no fault of there own..and anyone who take's a rescue dog on and try's there best with it and stick's with it

Hi Tozer from my own experience i'm very happy with the rescue dog i got but may have been lucky. She is a deerhound cross and was a cracking looking bitch when she was younger. All I knew of her was

If you see a dog that interests you on Lurcher Link, let me know. I help to organise the re homing for Kaye, who runs the rescue so can take you through the steps.

Got 2 of them. They do what i want. My 2 are more pets than workers. I'm only a Moucher, with a bit of lamping now and again, but i'm more than happy. They live in doors and were already house trained, so none of that to worry about. Ossie can be a handful from time to time, but Tess is spot on. Most dogs aren't in rescues through their own fault.

• Like 3

Its up to you. Personal id get a pup cause most dogs lend up in the pound for one reason or another. You'll have it the for the next decade why take the risk on an unknown dog. Source a pup of working parent's you know the breeding the history and my personal opinion you get a better bond with a pup but thats just my opinion from past experience with buying in older adults.

Best of luck

• Like 1

Cheers, I seen a cople of cracking looking dogs. But workers in the homes are there through injury or have been seized.

I am in no rush, I've got my busher her and she is doing amazingly. It's not the season, but I took her out for a mooch to bring her along, with my mates dog and we had rabbits bolting everywhere.

I'd have killed to have had a runner. Obviously I've never owned a lurcher before.

It's a commitment on my part and I am not likely to get rid of the dog despite it's faults.

Edited by Tozer

My best dog is from a shelter. He probably ended up in one because of a lack of work/exercise. Working is everything to him, if it was up to me he'd be retired by now but he isn't having that. Once in a lifetime dog, great work ethic, stamina drive, nose etc.

On the other hand, the worst or at least one of the worst workers (so far) I've worked with is also a rehomed dog. Not useless but nothing amazing so far, great pet...

• Like 2

Try Lurcher link Tozer a lot of dog's including younger dog's find there way there through no fault of there own..and anyone who take's a rescue dog on and try's there best with it and stick's with it through thick and thin deserve's a medal as big as there heart.. :thumbs:

http://www.lurcherlink.org/llink/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

Edit to add i have seen 2 rescue dog's do good..

Here is a dog of unknown breeding Khan he was no world beater but he put a fare bit of gear in the freezer.. :thumbs:

khanonhare_zps062553a1.jpg

And here is Keepa a Staffy x Whippet that looked nothing like a staffie whippet when she first arrived..she was under weight and in very bad condition she looked more like a chihauhau X .. after a carefull diet and plenty of care and exercise she has turned into one of the most driven dog's i have seen,,

abbiquadandrattingchickenfarm224_zps1d14

Edited by Millet
  • Like 9

Unknown breeding Towzer i could put a number of dog's to his breeding but i would never be correct as i don't know,, the main thing is he kept his owner happy and died happy.. :victory:

• Like 1

Hi Tozer from my own experience i'm very happy with the rescue dog i got but may have been lucky. She is a deerhound cross and was a cracking looking bitch when she was younger. All I knew of her was that a group of travellers had settled somewhere near Wigan for around a week and when they moved on she had been left behind. She was about 2 -3 years old when i got her and she's laid at my feet now 12 years later, she looks old and tired now but still has the minimum of an hours walk a day. She was nervous at first and it took a bit of bonding before she became a nice confident dog. She had clearly had some training and been worked but I had to break her to sheep and do extra training with her but it was time well spent. I only wanted her for a bit of mooching, ferreting and the odd night on the lamp, i don't claim to be no superhunter who catches thousands of rabbits, foxes, hare etc if i go home with a couple of bunnies i'm happy so she was ok for me.

I got her from Tia lurcher and greyhound rescue which is near to sowerby bridge and Bob the bloke who ran the rescue with his partner Debbie was a keen lurcherman so no worries about it going to a working home. I went up a few times and walked her before bringing her home just to be sure and i've no regrets at all, I don't think she's long left in this life cause she's got to be the minimum of 14yrs old now so not bad for a big lurcher at 26inch tts.

It all depends what you want out a dog if its for a bit of light work here an there, give a rescue dog a chance theres enough of them and they deserve a chance, remember one mans rubbish is another mans treasure. i know an old boy who is in his seventies who has only ever kept rescue lurchers and always kept three dogs at a time when one passed away he scoured the rescue centres till he found one to his liking. He's only ever mooched and lamped so had alot of dogs from rescues that suited him to the ground. Theres enough out there mate take your time and visit a few rescues til you get what you want or look on preloved or pets4homes it still amazes me how many adult lurchers there is for sale on them sites. All the best in your search and soz to ramble on cheers Den

• Like 6