Short Session On The New Permission

Lately this week the heavy downpours we've been having round here have not endeared me to venture out. Then along comes the first decent evening on Thursday and I had already committed myself to helping our local fishing club clear some swims on the river Parrett in preparation for the new river season. Once finished I thought I'd just go and have a look other areas on the new permission. Arrived there to see another shooter out stalking rabbits so decided to quietly leave him to it and headed home.

Well this evening I decided it was time and got down there for 7:30pm. Walked up onto the pea field to be greeted by a dozen or so woodies feeding late which bodes well for Sunday when we are hoping to decoy them. Edged my way round the pea field to see many rabbits out feeding, they obviously love these peas. Managed three rabbits ranging from 30 to 40 yds (been checking out chairgun and noted all my mildots). Stashed these by the car and crossed the road.

Went back to the wheat field that is being ravaged by the rabbits and managed to stalk one small one on the bank which although dead rolled down into the nettles so I left that one for any foxes that may be around.

Decided to wait by an area of wheat that was almost totally bare. Put down some markers for 30 and 40 yds and waited. Within 20 minutes a medium sized rabbit came out at 20yds, allowed him to settle and took him cleanly with a headshot and left him there to await some more. Took a while but half an hour later another rabbit came out to feed beyond the the 40yd marker. Estimated him to be at 50yds, checked my mildot holdovers that I had written down and took him out with a clean headshot. Again left him where he was to await some more. Ten minutes passed and a fox cub came out the hedge at about 30yds, wanted a closer look so squeaked him towards me and he came bounding over only to stop at 20yds to grab my rabbit and rabbit and dive into the nettles.

Decided with the scent of fox to pick up the single rabbit and head back to the pea field, measured him out and he was dead on 51yds. Got back to the car changed magazines and had a piddle only to spot a rabbit bounding down the track towards me, slowly composed my self and took a clean headshot of a very big rabbit.

Now went back round the pea field but even though there were a lot out they were now very edgy. Looked over the hedge and saw one standing up in a wheat field and without sticks took him with a headshot at 25yds.

Getting dark now so went up to the far side of the pea field to suss out where to decoy on Sunday. There are a couple of oak trees and a power line crossing the field so there should be some good ambush points for decoying. Sat down, sat the gun on the sticks and waited out the last of the light. Many rabbits came out but they seemed to far away. Eventually a couple came out a bit nearer but still at the extremity of my range. Well with no wind I steadied myself and guessed the rabbit to be around 50yds away, gave the recommended holdover and slowly squeezed off the shot, the pellet went high for a clear miss, reloaded and slightly altered my aimpoint to hear a satisfying thump as the rabbit was bowled over stone dead. Measured out to be 54yds, I think this will be the maximum I will shoot and instead practice more better quality stalking for the future. Decided it was time for home but I couldn't resist one last look in the grass field by the car and saw five rabbits out feeding by the hedge, took the one that was around 25yds and bunny number 10 was in the bag (well 8 in the photo thanks to nettles and the fox):

P6060190_zps910754a0.jpg

Did feel a bit sorry for this old veteran who had probably survived mixy or something worse, obviously he didn't hear me coming:

P6060192_zpsdf6cb5de.jpg

Chris

• Like 5

Cheers for the comments lads,

Spent a long session yesterday from 9am to 9pm first decoying pigeons and then going for a few rabbits. First proper attempt at decoying pigeons with the airgun, we should of easily of had eight but only managed one. Others had a few more who have a lot more experience of shooting pigeons decoying with the airgun, need to practice quicker 'snap shooting' and being ready all the time, takes 100% focus but it is a challenge. I know many of you will say use a shotgun but I've done all that years ago and prefer the rifle and the challenge. Most of those eight pigeons would of been instant if they were a paper target but with the adrenaline going they prove very testing, only experience and practice will suffice. And to prove the point when the evening drew in rabbits came out near the hide and I had three including a 48 yarder that I gave two mildot holdover and dropped him instantly with a perfect placement shot between the eye and root of the ear, but mind you his head wasn't bobbing all over the place and ready to launch into the sky at a moments notice.