Deaf Lurcher

seen this cracking lurcher a few times while out and about, normaly its on the lead getting walked about the streets. a few weeks ago i got speaking to the owner while out walking the dogs, he explained it doesnt get off the lead much because its deaf. no doubt its well looked after, once it got to the field he decided to let it off, couldnt half shift, looked like it could turn well to. just wondering if anyone has worked a deaf lurcher or dog before, am sure it would have its complications, would it put most off?? this lurcher is just a pet, wouldnt mind seeing go after a rabbit or two.

Edited by Wilson2k

To be honest, it does put me off... a few of my dogs became deaf as they got old, usually after 12 or so, but we learned to get by just fine with hand signals etc another thing I do is stamp my foot, they feel it from yards away, its my way of saying 'heel up' but the prospect of a dog thats deaf from the word go is not too thrilling lol

Before I got my white bitch I had pre picked this big lump of a white & Merle pup, I went to see their progress every week for an hour or so, and as they began to come into their own I knew something wasn't quite right, the day came to go pick him up and I discussed my concerns with the breeder whom admitted he had concerns himself but wasn't 100% as every time he convinced himself he was deaf the pup would do something to throw doubt in the mix, I wasn't willing to take the chance so I took the wee fellah into the dining room and put food down. Once he was content I grabbed two big pans and battered them together............. Nothing. Sometimes it's hard enough with a working lurcher, to handicap it with a disability isn't an option,

reckon it would be dam near useless for the field,did see one run at a show,the lady did say it was just a pet and she runs it on the lure for a bit of fun but it had no trouble coming straight back to her,obviously feck all wrong with its eyes :laugh:

There's quite a few deaf lurchers do compete in agility, its just different training that's all

and to help with recall there's now a vibrating collar or some use a flash light.

once training is in place i cant see why a deaf dog couldn't be used in the field

there's nothing wrong with their eyes, with lamping the lamp could be used as part of the training

or with ferreting or bushing nose is used, most deaf dogs feel vibrations more than a non deaf dog,

so they could feel vibrations from under ground a lot easier,

even with training a non - deaf dog we are always using body language and our hands,

so its just a matter of making them more visible.

• Like 1