Pet Insurance

Thinking about introducing a Lurcher pup to the family, finally talked r lass round to the idea of a lurcher as opposed to a miniature long haired daschund (took some doing)

So just wondering if any of you lads bother insuring your dogs? and if so could you recommend a good company and roughly how much you are paying?

Obviously could pick up some injuries out on the field so has anyone got any first hand experience in dealing with their dogs insurance and the company wanting to know how it got injured etc?

Any info appreciated, Just trying to do my homework before i get a pup.

Cheers Kieren.

If you plan to work it, I would recommend insurance. If the dog gets a bad injury like a snapped achilles tendon or a broken leg (which is entirely possible, and both of which I have personal experience of) you'll be looking at well over a grand, and possibly considerably more if there are any complications. Depends on your financial situation, but for me I'd be hard pressed to come up with a lump sum like that out of the blue. So I'd rather just pay out £20-odd a month and know I'm covered if anything goes wrong.

I've kept running dogs for 30 years now and have always insured them. Over that time I reckon I'm probably about even in terms of premiums paid versus claims made. Haven't had to make a claim for a few years now but that doesn't bother me - a few years back I had a greyhound that was forever at the vets. She ran up bills that would make your eyes water, and over the time I had her I probably claimed somewhere between about £5 - 7k. She was insured with Pet Plan, who were absolutely as good as gold. Always paid up without a quibble. They're the gold standard in pet insurance and will definitely cost you more than any other company. Have been with some cheap and cheerful companies in the past that have been a bit iffy about claims. Have my current lurcher with John Lewis Insurance which costs about £16 a month. Good level of cover, but as I haven't had to make a claim on the policy as yet I can't be any more specific than that.

If you look on one of the comparison websites you'll be able to see what they all offer.

I insure mine with tesco and have found them spot on ... Prompt payment with no hassle ... Just make sure when you decide which company you go to you put down the dog as a collie cross ...terrier cross etc and do the same in the vets ... If you put down lurcher they either won't insure or charge you a fortune ... If they think its a mongrel it will cost you a lot less ......

I insure mine with tesco and have found them spot on ... Prompt payment with no hassle ... Just make sure when you decide which company you go to you put down the dog as a collie cross ...terrier cross etc and do the same in the vets ... If you put down lurcher they either won't insure or charge you a fortune ... If they think its a mongrel it will cost you a lot less ......

Very good point about not calling it a lurcher

Very good point about not calling it a lurcher

Mine are both down as lurchers at vets and with Petplan. £11 for the pup and £15 for the older bitch.

also check the excess on the policy..i insured my last lurcher with petplan but the excess was £60-70 and the couple of times I had him at the vets they charged me just under that so unless its a major injury you still end up paying out...

• 1 year later...

Dogs Trust does a 3rd party only, covers as many dogs as you own for £25.00 a year. might be an option, but it doesn't cover any vet bills on your own dogs.

so whos dogs are coverd if not your own

3rd party is for damage to others persons property/ live stock etc, have a look on Dogs Trust site.

: )

I use direct line.

Never claimed yet but come recommended, they pay the vet direct i believe which saves shelling out then claiming back.

As with most insurance its all about the small print.

Some of the cheaper plans have caps on how much you can claim per condition per year and hefty excess fees.

I learnt the hard way last year exactly how costly vets can be for a serious viral infection in a terrier.

Never again .