Fps V Pellet Weight = ? Legal?

Right lets sort this out......

Kinetic Energy at the muzzle is calculated by using the following calculation:

E=WxV2/K

I have tried numerous pellets and the results are conclusive in that a heavier pellet will decrease muzzle velocity for any given power as to will a pellet that is too light.

Here is an example....

Take my favourite pellet JSB Exacts in .177 (8.44g) passed through my Airwolf at 790ft/s that equates to 11.7ft/lb

Then

Take the H&N Barracudas Match in .177 (10.4g) passed through my Airwolf at 685ft/s that equates to 10.8ft/lb

Then

Take the Daystate Li .177 (7.9g) passed through my Airwolf at 805ft/s that equates to 11.4ft/lb.

You can see from the results that there is a sweet spot for the riffle in terms of the weight of the pellet and no doubt there are even more complex calculations that the manufacturers use to set a rifle to in order to prevent a sub 12ft/lb rifle from ever breaching the legal limits.

One of the most efficient heavy pellets in most guns are jsb heavies 10.3gr

Well I guess my results show that not to be the case. Maybe it differs with a springer but through my Airwolf they certainly aren't.

Edited by Stingrey

E=WxV2/K

I have tried numerous pellets and the results are conclusive in that a heavier pellet will decrease muzzle velocity for any given power as to will a pellet that is too light.

Here is an example....

Take my favourite pellet JSB Exacts in .177 (8.44g) passed through my Airwolf at 790ft/s that equates to 11.7ft/lb

Then

Take the H&N Barracudas Match in .177 (10.4g) passed through my Airwolf at 685ft/s that equates to 10.8ft/lb

Then

Take the Daystate Li .177 (7.9g) passed through my Airwolf at 805ft/s that equates to 11.4ft/lb.

You can see from the results that there is a sweet spot for the riffle in terms of the weight of the pellet and no doubt there are even more complex calculations that the manufacturers use to set a rifle to in order to prevent a sub 12ft/lb rifle from ever breaching the legal limits.

Well I guess my results show that not to be the case. Maybe it differs with a springer but through my Airwolf they certainly aren't.

Well I guess my results show that not to be the case. It may well be with a springer but not in my airwolf

Cant see any results showing JSB heavies :hmm:

E=WxV2/K

Here is an example....

Then

Then

Well I guess my results show that not to be the case. It may well be with a springer but not in my airwolf

Cant see any results showing JSB heavies :hmm:

Apologies I was talking about H&N Barracuda Match pellets @ 10.4gr.

I think .177 flying at averages of 700-800 and .22s going at only 500-600 shows that heavier pellets go slower

Test same gun with 11.9 hobby 14.3 accupel and 16 aa fields and then 20 ish grain bisley mags and see the differences mate.

I would if my chrono wasnt annoying to set up lol

He can't test a .177 with 14.3 Accupel, they are .22!