Diy Custom Stock

When I joined an HFT club just over twelve months ago I used my HW100 FSB KT complete with a full length A&M cylinder and a Rowan Engineering cylinder band to free float the barrel. With this basic setup I was achieving acceptable scores from the start.

After trying friend’s rifles in the club and also as I progressed in the sport I wanted a rifle made especially for FT/HFT and bought an AA EV2 thinking it would improve my scores. It was a beautiful and very accurate rifle but I just couldn’t take to it. I always liked the action and accuracy the HW has, so I decided to buy a custom stock for it. Missing my chance several times on eBay and several sales on air rifle forums I eventually found and bought a GinB FT stock at an astronomical price, especially for a used one. It was well finished off and fully adjustable, and it really did look the part on the HFT circuit. Sadly once again I couldn’t adapt to it.

I thought the main factor with both the EV2 and the GinB was the weight; I had struggled with both when taking kneelers and standers. Friends in the club suggested I bought a Steyr LG110 because of its lightweight; one friend even offered to loan me his spare. I don’t like borrowing, and in reality I know I can’t afford the extra expense now I am retired from work.

My PB score of 56 was achieved at Rivi in the NW Gauntlet series with the unmodified HW100. If the Weihrauch can compete and achieve high scores like this I thought, why do I need anything else?

With time on my hands and basic skills I acquired over the years, I thought I would try to adapt the standard HW100 KT stock; nothing excessive, but enough to produce a tailored fit. The first mod was a Bisley adjustable butt pad, secondly I experimented making hamsters of different shapes and sizes, and finally I plucked up the courage to cut the stock to make an adjustable cheek piece. The total cost converting the stock was in the region of twenty pounds. It now feels and handles right and my HFT scores are improving back little by little.

At my club shoot on Monday last I achieved a 57 so I am going in the right way!

Regards, Steve.

post-81355-0-87411900-1401344187_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

What did you use to finish the bare wood after you cut the stock ?

I used steel wool on the stock to remove the existing coats of oil, and then I applied three new coat of Danish oil to finish it off.

Regards, Steve.

Thanks Aaron and Gary for those kind words. I miss the weekend meets with you and other friends of days past. It would be great to catch up with you on any future organised events.

Regards, Steve.

• Like 2

Im not one for the hw,kt as i cant get away with them but that looks amazing well dun :victory::victory::victory: and give your self a tap on the back for even attempting to do it Steve.

Its not the rifle just the stock that i cant get on with ,now the sporter stock is a different matter all to gather iv just ordered one in 22 and the full length one but don't think i would have the guts to cut the stock once again well dun atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Im not one for the hw,kt as i cant get away with them but that looks amazing well dun :victory::victory::victory: and give your self a tap on the back for even attempting to do it Steve.

Its not the rifle just the stock that i cant get on with ,now the sporter stock is a different matter all to gather iv just ordered one in 22 and the full length one but don't think i would have the guts to cut the stock once again well dun atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I must agree, the sporter stock is the better of the two options; thumb up is more stable and I would love to get my hands on one to give it the works. Unfortunately whenever I have seen one for sale or bid for one on eBay they fetch high prices. If anyone has one for sale at a reasonable price I would be interested?

Regards, Steve

• Like 1