Old Otter Hound Pic

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

. Sorry about the picture quality. Eastern countys on the hodder. 1920's

Bit of info on what the used long ago here - https://archive.org/stream/ottersotterhunti00came#page/36/mode/2up   Any other free online books around?

. Waiting for the pub to open

Posted Images

Could be wrong, but the near hound in the group sitting at the back looks like one.

. Well spotted sir. Also the front row second furthest away but bad picture dont really show it. Looking at the pic i think they just might be gathering up

Hard to say but one thing I think it's safe to say is that for that era they're probably not Welsh crosses, LOL.

Could be wrong, but the near hound in the group sitting at the back looks like one.

. Well spotted sir. Also the front row second furthest away but bad picture dont really show it. Looking at the pic i think they just might be gathering up

Hard to say but one thing I think it's safe to say is that for that era they're probably not Welsh crosses, LOL.
. Far from it Neil the welsh was used. In many many packs i was taliking to the otter hound trust who were telling me there gene pool was that small and the were defects in the american line they were now struggling for breeding and they were looking to start a line with a welsh x in it interesting eh

What era are we talking about ?

I wouldn't be surprised if Welsh has been introduced in the last few decades but I'd presume when that photo was taken that Otterhound blood was easily got, even though then huntsmen were starting to prefare the foxhound.

Interesting.

I hear ya, it looks like a full Welsh hound.

It never dawned on me that they might have been using welsh blood back then. I thought it would be either foxhound or otter hound or a cross between the two.

I know as far back as the Rev Russell there were full packs of Otterhounds made up of only foxhounds and I thought that using Welsh blood to improve hounds only came around the time of Ikey Bells.

I'll be looking closer at the old pics from now on, LOL.

I hear ya, it looks like a full Welsh hound.

It never dawned on me that they might have been using welsh blood back then. I thought it would be either foxhound or otter hound or a cross between the two.

I know as far back as the Rev Russell there were full packs of Otterhounds made up of only foxhounds and I thought that using Welsh blood to improve hounds only came around the time of Ikey Bells.

I'll be looking closer at the old pics from now on, LOL.

. No niel its a cross if you buy your self OTTER HUNTING MEMORYS Take a look at the cork city pack.

The packs that hunted the hodder calder an ribble were invited as the ribbledale oha lost thier pack to rabies 1871 So they invited other pack such as the eastern counties , cheriton , culmstock , kendal and district

The hounds mentioned as being lost to rabies were owned & hunted by a man called

James Lomax a local squire who lived at Clayton Hall, Great Harwood, Lancashire.

The hall existed in its original form till 1977 when it was demolished and anew smaller hall was built.

Lomax hunted from approximately 1828 till 1871 most of his hunting being on the Ribble, the Lune & their tributaries

but took his hounds all over the country by invitation

In his book a DIARY OF OTTERHUNTING it mentions that all but three of the hounds and six terriers were put down .

On the back page of the book is a print of a hound led outside an old wooden kennel , the title on the print is Carver_

Last of The Pack ,been trying to load it but failed