Any Advice Please

I was out with the lamp the other night when my whippet hit an electric stock fence and got a fair big shock. I work as a shepherd and have 4 sheepdogs Witch have all at some point in there working life done the same but it seams to have nocked the whippet a bit more. He is all good when out and about in the day but at night he sticks to me like glue. I think this will parse in time but would be very glad of any advise or tips many thanks Tom

I was out with the lamp the other night when my whippet hit an electric stock fence and got a fair big shock. I work as a shepherd and have 4 sheepdogs Witch have all at some point in there working life done the same but it seams to have nocked the whippet a bit more. He is all good when out and about in the day but at night he sticks to me like glue. I think this will parse in time but would be very glad of any advise or tips many thanks Tom

Get a tougher dog :laugh: .........

• Like 1

Some dogs get easily upset by things and some dogs don't,..a bit like some people...

It really is as simple as that Tom.... :laugh:

A 'leccy shock' to a dog is a complete mystery,...they have no comprehension of where the hit came from,..and as you can appreciate,..to a canine that cannot fathom out just what has occurred, the whole thing can be quite terrifying....

Maybe try to steer clear of that particular area when out at night,...

Whippets can be tough wee feckers,.. time is a great healer... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

i took a whippet type on years ago,probably could have been any type but found out very early on it had been shocked one night on a fence fecked it up good and proper wouldnt even step over a rope laid on the ground at night,if you get it sorted with some tips on here fair play,good luck with it :thumbs:

Fellas only asking fora bit of advice fs, don't worry mate get it out with you let it see some stuff and it won't be long forgetting about it, ;ust stick at it it will pull through you don't need to worry.. Atb.....B

Unfortunately houstyify is sometimes not as easy as that. My mates hard wee terrier got zapped on the head once. It bolted for miles and wouldnt go near a fence for many months. It had to be carried squirming over them. It was never the same... mind you i have seen other dogs just let out a yip and get on with hunting....hope the dog in question gets over it.

Pernod

• Like 1

I must admit I've wondered myself about this, I try to keep well away from them to be honest.

My old dog has been zapped once and it hasn't made a difference to him but the pup I have is of a different temprement altogether and I think it would put him off good and proper. I suppose I'll find out at sometime in the future.

Does anyone have a dog thats learned to work round them?

Happened to mine. Got zapped must of thought it was me, took me 6months to get him round stop retreving to me the lot you could just see he was edgey in my presence. 99 pec better now altho he still gives you that look now and again

Think times a healer theses ones. Build up the trust with the mutt again out at night

• Like 1

I live in "dairy and beef" country where pretty much every field is surrounded with shock wires. My collie greyhound bitch is halfway spoiled as a ferreting dog. She won't stay near any warren with a wire along it, and that's most of them round here. As a pup she struck at a rabbit that was running back to ground and grabbed both rabbit and wire. She's getting better as time goes by but she's still wary and will jack if a rabbit runs under wire.

My 12 month deer/grey pup has had a few belts too but she just seems to shrug it off. Out lamping I've seen her jump a wire into a bramble patch to catch a rabbit skipping over the top of the brambles.

These days I don't normally start ferreting until the cattle are in for winter and the fences off or I ask the farmer to switch them off for the day.

Best of luck with your whippet. Leccy fences are a menace, especially electrified barbed wire.

Edited by Maximus Ferret

Thank you for all the advice I think the dog will do ok as he is a wooden headed little sod at times but it is good to hear from people who have had the same happen to their dogs as I know what I,m at with the collies for work but the running dog game is all a bit new to me.cheers Tom

• Like 1