Shooting Jackdaws

Shooting them because they are nesting in the chimneys and under my roof - making holes in it!

i think you may find that you would need to prove all other methods have been tried and failed in order to meet the terms of the general license, i.e mesh ball on the chimney pots and bird proofing all access points to your roof, not trying to put you down or anything but if someone made a complaint you could get into grief very quickly,
What about "I don't like them stealing all the nuts and bread I put out for the garden birds".... Is that a reason??

i don't believe for one minute you put owt out for the birds you tight Scottish fooker :laugh::laugh:
I beg your pardon....I just emptied my Dyson onto the grass there so the little birds can take any bits away the night find useful for nests.

do birds use haggis and tatties to line there nests :laugh:
Only the McSparry. Bigger than the common sparrow and it kills BOPs by the hundred. Only time you'd see one is when it flys over the border to have it's daily shite....

i take it he will be voting yes then :laugh:

Of course.

Anyway I think the topic was shooting they wee nuisance jackdaws....?

Shooting them because they are nesting in the chimneys and under my roof - making holes in it!

i think you may find that you would need to prove all other methods have been tried and failed in order to meet the terms of the general license, i.e mesh ball on the chimney pots and bird proofing all access points to your roof, not trying to put you down or anything but if someone made a complaint you could get into grief very quickly,
What about "I don't like them stealing all the nuts and bread I put out for the garden birds".... Is that a reason??

i don't believe for one minute you put owt out for the birds you tight Scottish fooker :laugh::laugh:
I beg your pardon....I just emptied my Dyson onto the grass there so the little birds can take any bits away the night find useful for nests.

do birds use haggis and tatties to line there nests :laugh:
Only the McSparry. Bigger than the common sparrow and it kills BOPs by the hundred. Only time you'd see one is when it flys over the border to have it's daily shite....

i take it he will be voting yes then :laugh:

Of course.

Anyway I think the topic was shooting they wee nuisance jackdaws....

was it :laugh:

A shot to the head in the same location as you would a pigeon or magpie mate and they will be humanely dispatched.

A heart and lung shot will work well too especially if a .22 or .25 is used as the kinetic shock transfers better to the vitals and a slightly misplaced shot will still be effective where a .177 could drill through leaving a wounded bird. Not always true but can happen more than will happen with a slightly larger diameter pellet.

They are a weary bird with a sharp eye and so your movements need to be slow and methodical and your concealment needs to be good unless your going to be shooting them off of a construction that is quite far away and they feel safe to see you and not fly off.

I been shooting quite a few of these just lately and another tip is not to static hunt them next to the food source / problem area directly but off to a location near where there is a raised perch. What normally happens is they fly to a raised perch first to assess for danger and then swoop down onto the problem area to cause havoc.

They will then bring in more birds. As more birds come in they will land on the raised perch but look down at whats happening on the ground with the other birds giving you a chance to place a accurate shot.

If you wait in direct line of the food source they will eat and then look up and assess for danger and probably see you 9 out of 10 times.

Edited by zini
  • Like 1

Technically not quite that bad. You simply have to justify it to yourself that you have taken that option after taking all other REASONABLE efforts. So, if going up on your roof and fitting sheeting or mesh over your roof was not a reasonable option....the same as birdproofing access and the alike.

One thing to be super careful about, if a pellet passes through a bird, or misses, if that pellet lands on another person's property, or on public land...you've just fired a firearm INTO public access or private land.

Technically not quite that bad. You simply have to justify it to yourself that you have taken that option after taking all other REASONABLE efforts. So, if going up on your roof and fitting sheeting or mesh over your roof was not a reasonable option....the same as birdproofing access and the alike.

One thing to be super careful about, if a pellet passes through a bird, or misses, if that pellet lands on another person's property, or on public land...you've just fired a firearm INTO public access or private land.

so leaving the holes and the chimney open to other jackdaws would be seen as reasonable, if a jackdaw can get in the roof then a rat would find access a doodle more so with a dead jackdaw or two up there after all if you can not reasonably get up to fix the problem then its stands to reason you wont be able to retrieve any that don't fall from the same roof :laugh:

Very true Paulus.

However, a long stick can be used to swipe them down (ha, as if I can speak, what with 3 or 4 of my last kills being unretrievable), but going up there and adding a mesh or similar, to the chimney, could well be considered as unreasonable in the context of the apparent danger presented by walking on a roof, or the cost of popping a could of jackdaws being more reasonable and affordable than paying someone else to bird proof your roof for you.

:hmm::toast:

Very true Paulus.

However, a long stick can be used to swipe them down (ha, as if I can speak, what with 3 or 4 of my last kills being unretrievable), but going up there and adding a mesh or similar, to the chimney, could well be considered as unreasonable in the context of the apparent danger presented by walking on a roof, or the cost of popping a could of jackdaws being more reasonable and affordable than paying someone else to bird proof your roof for you.

so your saying if you couldn't afford a mixing bowl you would spend hours plugging up the holes in the cullender each time you needed a bowl, for the rest of your life :laugh::laugh:

I also have a jackdaw problem, they steal eggs from my free range birds, daft birds just lay anywhere, its not practical to collect every egg as soon as its laid, so could I argue that meets the general licence ?

Very true Paulus.

so your saying if you couldn't afford a mixing bowl you would spend hours plugging up the holes in the cullender each time you needed a bowl, for the rest of your life :laugh::laugh:

Damn right I would! haha.

I was thinking more the physical risk of being up on the roof :tongue2: