Collie/greyhound X Deerhound/greyhound

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my bitch with a touch of beddy

Hi shaaark,....back in the 1970s/1980s,...everyone I walked out with kept dogs of this breeding,..well thereabouts...   As a type, it is a lovely mix of dogs and makes for a real nice hunting lurch

Posted Images

On 29/01/2023 at 16:42, Moocher71 said:

Used to be loads of lurchers bred this way ,make good mooching dog 

My next lurcher got to have bit of collie in it .

I bred a fair few litters,...they mostly did ok....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4
On 28/01/2023 at 10:07, Anthony Reilly said:

Hi I am looking for a lurched castle collie greyhound I had one for 16 years and he died 

4 hours ago, Anthony Reilly said:

Hi I am looking for a nice collie greyhound dearhound my Luther died after 15 years

Is it a 15 or 16 year old vintage, you're drinking?  ?

• Haha 2

One of the best one's i saw run a couple of times was a black rough coated bitch owned by a lad who was in the R.A.F and Plummer mentioned him in a few of his books only because he was one of the first to have a pup out of his Merle that could not hold a candle to the rough coated bitch as far as catching hare's went.

• Like 2

Couldn’t imagine this cross being any good these days being f1 to f1 bred with the state of deerhounds an lack of decent collies to use it’d definitely be a mission to try on find a good matching pair that produces anything of a half decent standard bit of a shame really 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, poxon said:

Couldn’t imagine this cross being any good these days being f1 to f1 bred with the state of deerhounds an lack of decent collies to use it’d definitely be a mission to try on find a good matching pair that produces anything of a half decent standard bit of a shame really 

In what way do you mean no decent collies about out of interest?

12 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

In what way do you mean no decent collies about out of interest?

One that’s actually worked regularly a good dog that’s clever an intelligent an put together right not just a novelty kept dog or pet. There’s loads of collie out there but wouldn’t say there’s many worth breeding out of that’s all I meant 

53 minutes ago, poxon said:

One that’s actually worked regularly a good dog that’s clever an intelligent an put together right not just a novelty kept dog or pet. There’s loads of collie out there but wouldn’t say there’s many worth breeding out of that’s all I meant 

Plenty in Wales, my mates a hill  shepard got a few around him and almost every farm I've got permission on runs at least 1 or 2, might be different around the rest of the country

19 hours ago, Bakerboy said:

Plenty in Wales, my mates a hill  shepard got a few around him and almost every farm I've got permission on runs at least 1 or 2, might be different around the rest of the country

Yeah,..Border Collies are fairly common,..but, they also come in various guises, some are obviously not suitable to produce sane and sensible running dog composites.

Its all down to temperament?

Mind you, Ive always prefered a nice rangy long backed worker, to the more chunky types of herder...

In saying that,..the man who really wants and desires a pastoral based hybrid, isn't usually going for looks.

No shortage of Sheepdogs,...but ya gotta choose wisely....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3
56 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Yeah,..Border Collies are fairly common,..but, they also come in various guises, some are obviously not suitable to produce sane and sensible running dog composites.

Mind you, Ive always prefered a nice rangy long backed worker, to the more chunky types of herder...

In saying that,..the man who really wants and desires a pastoral based hybrid, isn't usually going for looks.

DSC_3646.JPG

Aye some are definitely unsuitable 

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

DSC_3646.JPG

Sounds good advice ? 

I remember as a kid seeing some collies that chase moving cars and try latch on to the tires? the positives could be some good heart but surely must have been head the balls mental

• Haha 2