Whippet X Border Terrier

How do lads. I have been thinking about putting a whippet over one of border bitches and would like to know if any of you had seen this cross before and what there like as a bushing/ferreting dog. I'm thinking in the long term about putting a whippet over again to get a 3/4 cross to maybe get a rough and ready sort. Any replys are much appreciated.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he's dead ugly, but I'd sooner have an ugly dog that works well and is a joy to live with than the most beautiful animal on the planet that is useless Cricket:  

Not bragging as I didn't breed him, but Cricket has to be one of the best ferreting dogs I've ever had, or seen. Only problem as I see it is if you cross two very dissimilar breeds together you'll get

sometimes a handy dog is just what is needed when bushing and ferreting in woods

Posted Images

Not bragging as I didn't breed him, but Cricket has to be one of the best ferreting dogs I've ever had, or seen. Only problem as I see it is if you cross two very dissimilar breeds together you'll get more litter 'wastage' in terms of physical type, though as both Borders and Whippets vary a lot if size/leg length/ build, you can reduce this I would think if you breed from a big Whippet and a leggy Border. Cricket is only 17" but very stocky, so not suitable for lamping and he can't catch on top on flat open ground. Excellent in cover, and has caught many bolters out ferreting purely by the speed of his reaction: if he can reach a rabbit before it has got into top gear: talking tenths of a second here aren't we :laugh: then he's got it, but on a dead run he's only as fast as a rabbit. His work ethic and temperament are second to none. Natural retriever too. Can't complain at all.

• Like 8

Not bragging as I didn't breed him, but Cricket has to be one of the best ferreting dogs I've ever had, or seen. Only problem as I see it is if you cross two very dissimilar breeds together you'll get more litter 'wastage' in terms of physical type, though as both Borders and Whippets vary a lot if size/leg length/ build, you can reduce this I would think if you breed from a big Whippet and a leggy Border. Cricket is only 17" but very stocky, so not suitable for lamping and he can't catch on top on flat open ground. Excellent in cover, and has caught many bolters out ferreting purely by the speed of his reaction: if he can reach a rabbit before it has got into top gear: talking tenths of a second here aren't we :laugh: then he's got it, but on a dead run he's only as fast as a rabbit. His work ethic and temperament are second to none. Natural retriever too. Can't complain at all.

any pics :thumbs:

• Like 1

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder...I've always thought of him as a handsome little chap. Then again, like you, I'm one of those people who feels that if an "ugly" dog is kept and/or bred from then it MUST be because it's such a good worker, so I end up finding ugly dogs attractive...if that makes sense.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

Would you not be better putting a border dog over a whippet?

Does it matter witch way you cross? I thought you put speed on top. Also I don't have whippet bitch but I do have a lot of border bitches.

Years ago I remember a friend of mine putting a big border dog over a whippet, the pups turned out good cover dogs. I think that little dogs of sky cats would throw some nice pups put over a whip/grey bwra racing type. Usually done the bedlington way, borders are pretty biddable as terriers go any I have had have been anyway.

Does it matter witch way you cross? I thought you put speed on top. Also I don't have whippet bitch but I do have a lot of border bitches.
Just thought it would be easier for a whippet bitch to have the pups size wise.

Just thought it would be easier for a whippet bitch to have the pups size wise.

That's a good point, but Cricket was sired by a Whippet out of a Border bitch: I know Borders come in varying sizes, so obviously using a Whippet over a tiny Border bitch wouldn't be a good idea. Though I did read somewhere that the pups will only grow to a size inside the bitch that she can accommodate. Midge needed a Caesar because of the breech presentation, and would no doubt have passed it if it hadn't been trying to come out bum first.