Straight Collie X Saluki

Hi guys,

right, its maybe a odd question to some, who would probably say stuff along the lines of 'why', not enough running dog blah blah blah. but i dont care, i had a collie x saluki before, loved her to bits, worked here hard and wept like a new born when she died of bone cancer.

anyway, im with out dog at the moment and just wondered. 1) is there anyone out there working this particular cross succesfully and 2) is there any one breeding such a cross with good results, i know there are other breeders, hancock etc doing collie based lurchers, just wondered if there where any collie x saluki breeders out there.

ps, not really interested in anything other than this cross at the moment, no whippet or greyhound thank you

treefella

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=collie+x+saluki&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SUOBU7v3O8SAOPqCgdgI&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=499

if you put the above link in to google, my bitch was the top left, fast, run all day and rabbits and hares no problem, pre ban.

dont knock it till you try it guys, she was a jem, just a shame no one else has had any experiance. if anyone has any, come forward and share pics or experiances with these dogs. i found they are a particularly strange dog, but lovable, clever, yet ditsy, intelligent but dopey, the collie 'eye' but with a bit more height and speed, saluki stubborness with collie loyalty.

with her she was the biggest contradiction as pointed out above, but somehow it worked. i remember when i got her, she was 10 months, and withing two days i hated her, like litterally hated her. but not one to give up or give away a dog i stuck with her, 4 weeks later.......i hated her, wanted to get rid of her.

5 weeks later, id shoot anyone between the eyes that would even think of laying a finger on her. strange how you bond with dogs isnt it, sometimes its so quick but the deepest bonds take abit longer sometimes, and once we finally bonded, that was it, she was deaf to anyone but me.

so in my opinion....good cross

I've got a young dog I got from a rescue place a year ago and know absolutely nothing about the breeding - they couldn't tell me anything as he'd been through several homes. His coat has grown a bit so it's not as obvious now, but when I first got him he had the definite look of saluki about him. And from a lot of his mannerisms I'm pretty sure he's got a fair bit of collie in him. He's got a lovely temperament and makes a great family dog, but I don't think he'll ever make anything more than a very average lurcher to be honest. But it's early days, so time will tell. He caught his first rabbit on the lamp at the end of the season and he has a pretty good nose on him. I'll certainly have fun with him, but I'm not expecting to be struggling home under the weight of his catches...

• 5 years later...

I have no clue to this one's breeding but I have often wondered whether she is a collie saluki.  She has endless stamina, is far too clever and loves rabbits but definitely knows best and will stick two fingers if she decides you are being thick.

2014-06-09-04.jpg

• Like 1
On 25/05/2014 at 01:53, treefella said:

Hi guys,

right, its maybe a odd question to some, who would probably say stuff along the lines of 'why', not enough running dog blah blah blah. but i dont care, i had a collie x saluki before, loved her to bits, worked here hard and wept like a new born when she died of bone cancer.

anyway, im with out dog at the moment and just wondered. 1) is there anyone out there working this particular cross succesfully and 2) is there any one breeding such a cross with good results, i know there are other breeders, hancock etc doing collie based lurchers, just wondered if there where any collie x saluki breeders out there.

ps, not really interested in anything other than this cross at the moment, no whippet or greyhound thank you

treefella

Think you in for a wait