Pups First Night On The Lamp...

Lamping no test for a pup my yorkie could have done that this time of year lol

Why would I want to "test" a 10/11 month old pup?It was all about building confidence. For me and for her.
pmsl
What's funny?
your

easy wound up gaz

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gaz,..you are a young man with your entire life ahead of you,.so, a wee bit of advice...   Pay no heed, to folk who tell you what you should be doing....it is your life , not theirs... I've survi

Took the pup out for a look on the lamp tonight with my mate Jim (TJones on here).   She is just coming 11 months old and hasn't seen the lamp before. She's had a handful of daytime rabbits, mostly

Personaly,...I think it up to the man who owns the dog,.. to call the shots...   Looking back through my diaries of the 1970s/1980s ,..we were running scores of rabbits,..often with real young lurc

Lamping no test for a pup my yorkie could have done that this time of year lol

Why would I want to "test" a 10/11 month old pup?It was all about building confidence. For me and for her.
pmsl
What's funny?
your

easy wound up gaz

I aren't wound up. Just confused by your comments mate.

Only thing is.. It caught easy Uneducated summer rabbits.

Will she yap like she has been on your local lamp shy winter rabbits...

My bet she will

Not a chance.

The rabbits would of been easy for a seasoned dog yes. But they weren't particularly easy for her. Yes she made light work of some of them but equally there were some hard runs, twisting and turning, up and down the ground, in and out of cover. If she was going to yap she would of done last night.

By the time she's on "lamp shy winter rabbits" she will be 18 months old and a different animal entirely. Fit, well muscled, strong and bursting with confidence.

Out this morning........ 2 pages,

Returned not too long ago,

BOOM!!............ 5 pages :laugh:

I didn't even need to read the inbetweeny bits either and I know what it's about, IMO there's arguments to both sides, 'BUT' it's Gareth's choice, would I consider running bunnies this time of year? Probably not, would I pass up the opportunity to get a pup started with that sort of numbers? Again probably not. As I've always said confidence is the key, and at the end of the day it will have done her confidence the world of good.

Well done that pup. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Out this morning........ 2 pages,

Returned not too long ago,

BOOM!!............ 5 pages :laugh:

I didn't even need to read the inbetweeny bits either and I know what it's about, IMO there's arguments to both sides, 'BUT' it's Gareth's choice, would I consider running bunnies this time of year? Probably not, would I pass up the opportunity to get a pup started with that sort of numbers? Again probably not. As I've always said confidence is the key, and at the end of the day it will have done her confidence the world of good.

Well done that pup. :thumbs:

Cheers Ross.

I aren't a summer hunter. My old bitch hasn't seen a rabbit since the season ended. And won't until the season starts.

Jim rang and offered to take me to a place of his lifting with rabbits, see how the pup gets on, boost her confidence, answer a few of my questions.

It was a no brainer :thumbs:

• Like 2

If it had all gone tits up would you have posted on here..

You must have had confidence in that bitch anyone?

I would have just waited until winter and enjoy a mooch about during the day over the summer months.

My bitch is bursting to run something, but I will not go out of my way as yet to kill anything. If she kills on a mooch so be it,if not fine.

Edited by Big bald beautiful

I would have just waited until winter and enjoy a mooch about during the day.

If I thought it was going to go tits up I wouldn't of taken her. I had a few underlying doubts. But wouldn't anyone? I don't regret going. Far from it. I now have an idea of what she's capable of. And that will increase tenfold as she matures.

• Like 4

I would have just waited until winter and enjoy a mooch about during the day over the summer months.

My bitch is bursting to run something, but I will not go out of my way as yet to kill anything. If she kills on a mooch so be it,if not fine.

All good. Each to their own.

But what makes you think she will yap in winter when she's stronger and mentally more mature? When she didn't yap on 20 slips last night?

Having never had a yapping b*****d besides a dog I took in when it's owner was under the knife.. I wouldn't know.

Each to there own, I like to see ratting terriers enter early.. To early for most folk but have never been in a rush to start a running dog.

I'm maybe doing it wrong.. Wouldn't be the first time.

The dog i run here let the odd yap of frustration out in her younger day's on bunnies and she screamed the place down when the odd hare got up daytime by mistake..now she has settled down and in her stride full of confidence.. and she never murmur's now.. :thumbs:

Having never had a yapping b*****d besides a dog I took in when it's owner was under the knife.. I wouldn't know.

Each to there own, I like to see ratting terriers enter early.. To early for most folk but have never been in a rush to start a running dog.

I'm maybe doing it wrong.. Wouldn't be the first time.

Oh ok. Just with you saying you would bet that she would yap in winter...

I'm pretty confident now that the murmur she made at 7 months old was nothing.