Pups First Night On The Lamp...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gaz,..you are a young man with your entire life ahead of you,.so, a wee bit of advice...   Pay no heed, to folk who tell you what you should be doing....it is your life , not theirs... I've survi

Took the pup out for a look on the lamp tonight with my mate Jim (TJones on here).   She is just coming 11 months old and hasn't seen the lamp before. She's had a handful of daytime rabbits, mostly

Personaly,...I think it up to the man who owns the dog,.. to call the shots...   Looking back through my diaries of the 1970s/1980s ,..we were running scores of rabbits,..often with real young lurc

:hmm:Personaly,...I think it up to the man who owns the dog,.. to call the shots... :yes:

Looking back through my diaries of the 1970s/1980s ,..we were running scores of rabbits,..often with real young lurchers,.and my comments on the nights activities and on each dogs performance,.would make you shudder.... :blink:

We expected far more from our dogs back then,.and I lamped them on rabbits at an incredibly early age....

If a young lurcher is physically up on his toes and is capable,...and the rabbits are there in abundance,..and catchable,.as opposed to simply being,.chaseable,...then I would always fill me boots...

It is a great feeling driving homeward,... knowing the score.... :thumbs:

Mind you, it can sometimes be a long sad journey home,..especially if things have not gone to plan,...but the lurcher game is a hard one and you have to take a chance ...

I've tried every method of starting young hunting dogs,...and if you plan ahead,..it ain't as risky as folk think. ..

Waiting two more months, four more months,.etc, etc,...is often a fruitless exercise...and the best dogs that I have ever seen,...all went...straight to their game,...It is a risk, I do know that,...but at least you know the score.

Facts are, I always felt the types who were a bit suspect and iffy,..were possibly destined to fail anyway. :thumbs:

Thanks Phil. I enjoyed reading that.

You will alway's get teething problem's with pup's new to the lamp and a lot worse at time's than you have explained.. the pup done excellent imo so keep doing what you are doing as it's obviously working.. :victory:

• Like 2

:hmm:Personaly,...I think it up to the man who owns the dog,.. to call the shots... :yes:

Looking back through my diaries of the 1970s/1980s ,..we were running scores of rabbits,..often with real young lurchers,.and my comments on the nights activities and on each dogs performance,.would make you shudder.... :blink: We were super critical and required and expected, far more from our dogs back then and I lamped them on rabbits at an incredibly early age....and they were none the worse for it...

If a young lurcher is physically up on his toes and is capable,...and the rabbits are there in abundance,..and catchable,.as opposed to simply being,.chaseable,...then I would always fill me boots...

It is a great feeling driving homeward,... knowing the score.... :thumbs:

Mind you, it can sometimes be a long sad journey home,..especially if things have not gone to plan,...but the lurcher game is a hard one and you have to take a chance ...

I've tried every method of starting young hunting dogs,...and if you plan ahead,..it ain't as risky as folk think. ..

Waiting two more months, four more months,.etc, etc,...is often a fruitless exercise...and the best dogs that I have ever seen,...all went...straight to their game,...It is a risk, I do know that,...but at least you know the score.

Facts are, I always felt the types who were a bit suspect and iffy,..were possibly destined to fail anyway. :thumbs:

gaz never drove home lol,,,,the old man did he was sleeping,,lol,,, hit was not so much about the score,,,,the dog went from strengh to strengh has the nite went on,, the catching part,,, was not the problem,,,the dog clicked more and more, retreiveing ,coming strait back,,looking down the beam,,,,,2/3 runs, local on hard ground,,,,wud not of done the dog any good what so ever,,,,, you learn more in a hour than what you do in 10 mins,,, he add happy dreams coming home and not nitemares,,lol

• Like 1

Lamping no test for a pup my yorkie could have done that this time of year lol

Why would I want to "test" a 10/11 month old pup?It was all about building confidence. For me and for her.
pmsl

What's funny?