• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good post sandy,,, I always like your posts , always worth reading. I new I was right about them being carnivore,,,thanks for clearing that up...

I could be wrong here lol, but the gut is were wild dogs,wolves, canine 's go for 1st in a kill, look at all the attacks on the prey always that area 1st, then the neck.So they would feed there 1st

Fecks sake sandy,,,that writing is hard to read,,,     Look I get what your saying,,,I did from the very first post,,,,it's almost like a sliding scale,,,with herbivore at one end,,,us in the middl

Posted Images

The whole points is the term carnivore is pretty meaningless in dietary term, pandas are carnivores. When people start with the dogs can't/shouldn't have cereals etc because they're carnivores they do so without understanding what the term means. Dogs eat a mixed diet in the majority of cases so Tomo like most feeds his dogs on an omnivores diet.

Exactly what I meant, grizzly bears, one of the biggest CARNIVORES on the planet, eat MILLIONS of berries and vegetation, 'omnivores by nature' :thumbs:

I learnt in a biology class when I was around 12. That herbivores have flat grinding teeth for efficiently grinding large amouts of vegetation such as a horse or a cow (however this didn't stop farmers from feeding meat derived products, which attributed to mad cows disease). Carnivores on the other hand had pointy jagged teeth for tearing flesh and crunching bones, loins,wolves etc. Omnivores however have a mixture of flat grinding teeth and pointed jagged teeth such as humans a set of pointy teeth and grinding teeth. This is an indication of what an animal is at first glance. But this of course goes much deeper. Digestive tract etc.

In short by this reckoning, the first post on this topic is total rubbish. As last time I checked my mouth my teeth suggested I was an omnivore which I know to be correct. Last time I checked my dogs teeth however they were all pointed or jagged makeing them carnivores.

Edited by Allan.A

This is not to suggest that carnivours never eat anything other than meat. They may take small quantities of vegetation at times for whatever reason. Whether that be predigested prey animal stomach contence or the odd blade of grass. Much of which will pass through them undigested (undigested, I hardly call that a food source!). I don't think the odd blade of grass makes a mammal an omnivore.

Edited by Allan.A

The whole points is the term carnivore is pretty meaningless in dietary term, pandas are carnivores. When people start with the dogs can't/shouldn't have cereals etc because they're carnivores they do so without understanding what the term means. Dogs eat a mixed diet in the majority of cases so Tomo like most feeds his dogs on an omnivores diet.

Exactly what I meant, grizzly bears, one of the biggest CARNIVORES on the planet, eat MILLIONS of berries and vegetation, 'omnivores by nature' :thumbs:

Brown bears have large canine teeth toward the front of they're mouths. However towards the rear they have flatter grinding teeth. Omnivore by evolution! if they ever were carnivores. I know this as I've just looked at a brown bear scull on Google images lol. So the formular taught to me when I was 12 works.

Just checked Google images again. A Panda's denture is the same as a brown bears canine teeth at the front flat grinding teeth at the back same as a humans. A true omnivore, by evolution. Unlike a dog or wolf whos teeth are pointed and jagged throughout a true carnivore by evolution! .... Just saying lol

Edited by Allan.A
  • Like 1

Also a dogs jaw is not hinged to grind and chew they swallow their food whole

if you feed them a lot of vegetable or cereal matter raw it will pass straight through,of course we cook it and it allows then to eat it,and they do fine on it,and in fact thrive but they are "mainly"meat eaters and WE supplement their diet with the above.

Pretty much how cows eat grass but will eat rendered meat if we give it to them.

• Like 1

All correct Roybo. Just because we can change a substance by cooking or whatever means. This does not change its biological classification.

Ps has your bitch dropped those pups yet mate?

Edited by Allan.A
  • Like 1

Good post sandy,,, I always like your posts , always worth reading.

I new I was right about them being carnivore,,,thanks for clearing that up...

Within the context of taxonomy a dog is a carnivore in that it is a member of the order carnivora and carnivore is a populist term for members of this group, so if someone wishes to call their dog, panda or any member of the group, whatever its dietary needs, a carnivore then it would seem pedantic to argue. In truth carnivore is a populist term rather than a classification meaning meat eater/devourer. So yes you were right.

On the other hand if someone wanted to call their dog an omnivore then as an animal with special adaption’s to allow it to eat and flourish on a mixed diet then they have equal validity to do so, omnivore means an animal with exactly these characteristic. The term is not bound within the biological taxonomy of genus as we can see with the multitude of carnivra that utilise this dietary lifestyle. So Riohog is also right.

The result; differing opinions as to how one should class dogs within dietary terms with many vets working in this field classing them as omnivores by diet whilst others still class them by genus as “carnivores”.

In truth there is no right or wrong rather just a difference of approach and the only time this becomes a problem is when people design a diet based on preconceptions of taxonomy rather than biology.

There is actually a study that confirms that a dogs digestive system is very similar to a humans and also a mouses.

What people forget is animals evolve to their environment, so where as once dogs may have been like the wolf, a complete meat eater through living with us they have evolved,

Look at the study on that wild fox over the years they were able to breed them to be tamer and to live with humans.

http://m.livescience.com/31997-dogs-and-humans-evolved-together.html

http://news.sciencemag.org/plants-animals/2013/01/diet-shaped-dog-domestication?ref=hp

I do have the link to a more in depth study, but its on my computer and im not able to get on at the mo, but that study is on line.