Bass Lures And Spinning

Fiish black minow is a good lure. Rubber sand eels live sand eel. Poppers in the summer. I fish about 50 yards offshore still a bit early in the season for any bigguns though! Any decent lure will do they're sight predators so fish light I use 8 lb maxima with a light spinning rod ☺

. We have really fast currents. Am just experimenting with differant set ups at the moment. Were trying every combo.

i use savagegear sandeels quite a bit.they cast really well and if you remove the treble off the bottom they dont snag up much. come in a few different sizes so you can pick the one that suits the area your fishing. got quite a few yo-zuri lures but .cant remember which type.

When spinning on Worms Head we used Kosters to good effect. One tip though swap the treble for an Aberdeen fine wire hook if spinning over rough ground, when you do get stuck the hook will straighten out and you get your lure back. Funnily enough you don't lose many fish off the single hook.

Another eel we used was a Norwegian bent rubber eel with an ounce barrel lead above it. Trick with them was to get them caught on the bottom then jerk like crazy when they sprung loose that's when the take would happen. The run of tide is so fierce on the worm that you needed the lead just to get the eel to the bottom.

TC

Edited by tiercel

When spinning on Worms Head we used Kosters to good effect. One tip though swap the treble for an Aberdeen fine wire hook if spinning over rough ground, when you do get stuck the hook will straighten out and you get your lure back. Funnily enough you don't lose many fish off the single hook.

Another eel we used was a Norwegian bent rubber eel with an ounce barrel lead above it. Trick with them was to get them caught on the bottom then jerk like crazy when they sprung loose that's when the take would happen. The run of tide is so fierce on the worm that you needed the lead just to get the eel to the bottom.

TC

. What trace do you use T. And hook size

The trace would be around 20lb BS but it was only there to absorb the rubbing from the barrel lead and the rocks on the bottom it was about 12" in length. One thing I forgot to mention was the need with any spinner for a good swivel we use ball bearing swivels, more expensive but saved on twists in the line that would considerably weaken the line. Even then you would still get twists in the line, but what we would then do is leave the line out behind the boat till you spool was almost empty, then stop the boat and rewind onto the spool. The hooks were size 1. 1/0. Aberdeen fine wire and very often a lot of the fish were hooked outside the mouth on or above the maximal plate as if the fish were taking the body of the koster not the whole lure.

In Swansea university they have an aquarium with bass in. One year at the end of the season another fisherman emptied his sand eel tank and took them up to the uni and emptied them in. To see how the bass took them taught me a lot. Even big bass 10lb plus who could swallow a hand full of eels with ease took the eels the same as a smaller bass. They swam amongst the eels then opened their gill plates and shook their heads striking the eels then they would take the crippled eels almost at leisure.

When fishing live sand eels you would always get a tap tap on the line before the draw of the fish taking, so when I seen that, it made sense then of what was happening.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 3

I Fish braid as my main line mate and use Fluor Carbon for the trace, you feel everything through the braid... Like TC said a decent swivel is needed.

Love fishing the live eels....

• 5 weeks later...

Fished the swellies a lot - soft plastics a good bet , as mentioned . I have caught successfully with white and white/blue sidewinders fished risky close to bottom [fishing the swellies is risky!] , i use braid as i find the current doesn't influence as much . I have persevered with a copper toby to no avail [its supposed to be good]. Keep at it - its not an easy place to catch but rewarding when it happens, i have had a handful of magical sessions over the years.