• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

by Raymond H. Oppenheimer     1. Remember that the animals you select for breeding today will have an impact on the breed for many years to come. Keep that thought firmly in mind when you choose b

You have come on here and have argued with some of the most respected terrierman in the UK and most likely the entire world, ?the knowledge these men have of these dogs and their history is unreal. Yo

You know what your tough guy act is getting old. So how about this. I’ll buy you a round trip ticket put you up in a good hotel near the airport. Call you an Uber to take you to a place to meet me and

Posted Images

something i dont understand which would be great if someone could explain. example: bitch from a great line, works a treat. dog from another line, good at its job. both lines are tested and are built for the same job and bred through generations. what is different in lining them together, instead of keeping to their own blood? in a way, worker to worker.

nothing !!!! Its all down to personal taste

if you fear useing the quitter does it not show that there is a lack of confidence in the generations of carefull breeding. i would have to use my quitter and test the offspring. if only to convince myself i was on the right track. :yes:

• Like 2

something i dont understand which would be great if someone could explain. example: bitch from a great line, works a treat. dog from another line, good at its job. both lines are tested and are built for the same job and bred through generations. what is different in lining them together, instead of keeping to their own blood? in a way, worker to worker.

That mating is bound to produce workers,but with less consistency. All you are doing with breeding in and culling is narrowing down the gene pool to the desired traits. If what you are talking about worked so well getting good terriers would be easy,but it isnt is it. So why not open your mind up a bit instead of going round in a circle. No offence intended.

Back in the day, Gamecocks were tested and tested some more, then the brother was used as a broodcock, the reason being the original cock would of lost vigour through over exertion, the lines and strains still went forward.

Thats what Ive read aswell but that was when they didnt know about the existance of genes.
. And have you had one of your terriers genetically investigated. By a genetic engineer Do you even understand the expense and what goes into idenification. Of genes , when what you really mean is selective breeding

Stick to the banter if i were you mate.

some of the top/big yards have bred from producers that have never seen an earth ------ this is my view for what its worth if its in the blood , its in,, said it before top race horses ,greyhounds and racing pigeons have producers that have never performed if its the right bloodlines it will produce.....

• Like 2

That mating is bound to produce workers,but with less consistency. All you are doing with breeding in and culling is narrowing down the gene pool to the desired traits. If what you are talking about worked so well getting good terriers would be easy,but it isnt is it. So why not open your mind up a bit instead of going round in a circle. No offence intended.

i dont know if youve misinterpreted me but im not slating line breeding, i would hope to eventually start my own line in the future, i just want to understand it more and understand why other methods arent as successful. just a question :thumbs:

Depends on what is meant by,"JACKER" never got round that title........

Why did it "JACK" ? ,over use,... entered to Early,not schooled properly....wrong hands ,wrong time...SORE..entered to something it wasn't ready for ? etc..

A conundrum....multitude of reasons to call it that..Something that suits one individuals needs / requirements,may not suit someone else ...

More to do with the person owning & working the Dog.I.M.O.

I.ve kept dogs,others would certainly would have culled and have told me so...to see the breeding in their OWN dogs Down the Line .by the Back door..yet they, where not worth culling :blink:,but worth Breeding of.. :icon_eek:

Is Elvis' kid a Great singer.. :hmm: Was his Mother / Father ? or did he Just have that something !!...SAM C. Philips seen in him and brought to the Fore..for all the World to see ?

• Like 1

Depends on what is meant by,"JACKER" never got round that title........

Why did it "JACK" ? ,over use,... entered to Early,not schooled properly....wrong hands ,wrong time...SORE..entered to something it wasn't ready for ? etc..

A conundrum....multitude of reasons to call it that..Something that suits one individuals needs / requirements,may not suit someone else ...

More to do with the person owning & working the Dog.I.M.O.

I.ve kept dogs,others would certainly would have culled and have told me so...to see the breeding in their OWN dogs Down the Line .by the Back door..yet they, where not worth culling :blink:,but worth Breeding of.. :icon_eek:

Is Elvis' kid a Great singer.. :hmm: Was his Mother / Father ? or did he Just have that something !!...SAM C. Philips seen in him and brought to the Fore..for all the World to see ?

Never thought id see Elvis compared to a terrier! Haha can see your point tho

Back in the day, Gamecocks were tested and tested some more, then the brother was used as a broodcock, the reason being the original cock would of lost vigour through over exertion, the lines and strains still went forward.

Thats what Ive read aswell but that was when they didnt know about the existance of genes.
. And have you had one of your terriers genetically investigated. By a genetic engineer Do you even understand the expense and what goes into idenification. Of genes , when what you really mean is selective breeding

Stick to the banter if i were you mate.
lol. Yeh. I would if i was you genetics lol get a grip tell you what post your breeding for the last 20 years Prove you have improved the working ( TRAIT.)in your terriers by your breeding programe and raised the the succes rate of your lines geneticaly DR JEEMS ,
  • Like 1