2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Sweet Mike .Didn’t have to go all gangs of New York just to apologise though .Loads of us on here got no idea about genetics but have produced good stock ,stock good enough to work in any company which after all is  why we are here ain’t it .

Im not in agreement about having to start with related stock ,just good tested stock though I can see the benefits .Back breeding as I now know it as is the fastest way to set traits with of course culling along the way .I havnt the heart for it nowadays but in my heyday thought nothing of it .

The  concept isn’t new ,was explained to me 37 years ago by a chap who had no concept of genetics either but knew how to breed a working terrier .

Culling that which dosnt fit the directive is the most hardest thing to do having bred ,nurtured and watched it grow on but cull it you must to stop that part of your experiment ever surfacing again .

Gifting so called surplus has a habit of getting reused ,recycled and back at you in the form of someone’s take of a decent worker .Seen it and it creates huge rifts between mates .Work what you can keep ,cull what dosnt make your grade and choose brood and studs from your best .Some lads breed within a line ,father daughter ,father niece ,nephew niece even brother sister but to my mind the variants are too great to see its full potential .

Back breeding to a tested stud over daughters and nieces has got to be the fastest way to set genes whilst looking forward ,watching up coming dogs for that next stud ,keeping a spare in mind too .The bitches will fall in line after the desired traits are set in the stock you deem as your best .Once you see it for what it is everything else becomes easy and predictable ,some may say boringly efficient .

I absolutely agree. And like you said many good breeders didn’t know about genetics but they usually did breedings that followed sound genetic principles without knowing they were doing it. Those breeders to me were truly gifted it was like they just instinctively knew how to do it. And I think the back breeding method you were talking about is a great way to breed. A lot of livestock breeders the ones breeding Bulls and Cows use the method based on a couple articles I’ve read

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

by Raymond H. Oppenheimer     1. Remember that the animals you select for breeding today will have an impact on the breed for many years to come. Keep that thought firmly in mind when you choose b

You have come on here and have argued with some of the most respected terrierman in the UK and most likely the entire world, ?the knowledge these men have of these dogs and their history is unreal. Yo

You know what your tough guy act is getting old. So how about this. I’ll buy you a round trip ticket put you up in a good hotel near the airport. Call you an Uber to take you to a place to meet me and

Posted Images

2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Name me one person who gifts so called culls mate .Who wants their name attached to a jacker .Pet homes are a possible but even these have a way of biting you on the arse when it starts killing cats or whatever .

Until you are actually focused on producing something decent, all outsider guessing is just that .It consumes you fully ,nobody else matters only opinions from those respected .

The only thing that matters is work ,work and more work .Everybody involved in a line needs to be onboard with this notion as well as culling .

If you can't cull them though you're going to have a big food bill for unworthy dogs. 

I would sooner see a dog pts then being passed from pillar to post. 

• Like 1

Interesting read lads fair play least you all kissed an made up. I know this is the terriers section an I have no business being in here as I’m a lurcher man but interested in all the stuff on breeding an how other guys/gals do things as id like to keep the best of the best type of Lurcher I got going as long as I can so it’s good to hear how others do things ??

• Like 1
On 25/12/2020 at 16:48, Bolero said:

You know what your tough guy act is getting old. So how about this. I’ll buy you a round trip ticket put you up in a good hotel near the airport. Call you an Uber to take you to a place to meet me and we can settle it right there. If you not up for this then your bullshit ends don’t post nothing In reply me no more. So you either back up that slick talking mouth of yours or shut it

What a wanker?

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Shitehawk dude, he's a shitehawk. ????

Never read ote like it Mr cain dint even insult the twat in anyway and he's offered 2 bring him half way round the world for a fecking fight ,call u an uber ,had we rolling about ,nevermind the fact no-one can travel ,and plus the wunt let Shaun into America wi his record and being a g ,?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 25/12/2020 at 16:48, Bolero said:

You know what your tough guy act is getting old. So how about this. I’ll buy you a round trip ticket put you up in a good hotel near the airport. Call you an Uber to take you to a place to meet me and we can settle it right there. If you not up for this then your bullshit ends don’t post nothing In reply me no more. So you either back up that slick talking mouth of yours or shut it

A round trip ticket to America and a hotel stay all paid for. Right as Shaun’s second and seeing as Shaun can’t travel to America I will go instead. Please pm for my details. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
On 29/12/2020 at 11:24, Black neck said:

Never read ote like it Mr cain dint even insult the twat in anyway and he's offered 2 bring him half way round the world for a fecking fight ,call u an uber ,had we rolling about ,nevermind the fact no-one can travel ,and plus the wunt let Shaun into America wi his record and being a g ,?

? ? ? ?