A month or so ago I bought a 2nd hand BSA Ultra SE (not the MMC) which came with a Tasco 6-24x50 IR scope. Not having anything to compare it with, I have found the scope to be fine. It's been really easy to zero and I can group under an inch at around 25 yards using 10x mag as my default. However the scope is massively out of proportion for the gun and if it wasn't for the late HW moderator it would look comical. From a search on the web it would also appear the scope weighs about a kilo.

I don't want to invest a huge amount (sub £100) at this point and it would seem that still gets me a lot of choice, with some decent scopes even being available for considerably less. I think I have talked myself down to a Nikko Mountmaster but can't decide whether 3-9x40 or 4-12x50 should be the way to go.

Currently I am plinking and target shooting at home. My definite intention is to try and get a permission but I am also now quite keen on joining a club to do some HFT. As I have so far been used to using x10 mag, I am a little worried that if I go down to 3-9 that I may find it hard.

I would welcome advice both on what size would fit my needs best, but also some recommendations of currently available scopes that fall within my criteria. Thanks in advance.

Try a panorama EV , very nice scope ,good for every thing you want to do

Seconded with Villaman's suggestion. Great little scope in both 40mm and 50mm objective lens. Fantastic 10-1/2 mildot reticle, illuminates on a rheostat to red or blue if you shoot well into poor light and not a great hefty weight to add to your rifle. I've got both for my sub-12/ft HW spring rifles and they both put the pellets right on the crosshairs at my 25-30 metre zero ranges. :thumbs:

Hi. I would like to 3rd the hawke panorama but I'm afraid you're going to struggle to find one for less than £100 unless you go 2nd hand. To be honest if you're getting on OK with your current scope and the main issue you have with it is cosmetic I'd be inclined to say stick with it for a bit and save for something like a mamba lite when you can afford it.

I was about to say pretty much the same as James.

One quick question, are you using the variable ranges? If you're scared that you've set your practice with the 10x zoom, then play around and try some smaller zooms, e.g. try using 6x or 8x or something like that. The more you practice the better you get at those ranges and those zooms. Try to zero to at least 12x, so that if you really need to be accurate, you're set and ready for it.

Personally, I prefer to use the variable zoom and take my time with my shots. If I'm on a rabbit, I'll scope at 4x to check I've got the rabbit in the scope (searching at 10x for quarry up a squirrel up a tree can be a really difficult job, so I have the habit of scanning with a low zoom) then zoom in to what I am happy with using, that will get me a definite kill shot, it could be 5x-12x depending on the distance I'm shooting at. Then take the shot.

If you're using a scope that can hold zero, and you're comfortable shooting, then why change it if it works?

The question is, do you care how it looks, or is it more important how it performs?

If looks are important, then go for a funky little 4x scope, as they look cool and little. Maybe max out on a 6x scope? But if what you have works a treat, and you're used to shooting with it, providing it does the job well, stick with it, save the money, and send me a £50 consultancy fee for helping you solve your scope issue haha.

stay away from the nikko stirling mountmaster mate absolute dog shite soon as dusk comes your fcuked as said try a panorama or a varmint sf and id go with the half mildot for 140quid mate well worth the extra and tbh youll only need a 2.5x10 or 3x12 at the most