Ferreting Drop Nets

Hi can anybody tell me the best place to buy a drop net, need about 200 yards. i know nothing about them. How are they triggerd and are they easy to set up, and more to the point does anybody still make them.???

Thanks

Ben

Dont think you can buy them, was plans on here, couple sets I think aswell. Shame as I could really be using one but can't really be arsed going to trouble of making one just for this one spot. Anybody In north east wanna come use there's for us? It'll fill boot with bunnys, at very least lol

Edited by Hot Meat

went out today for a session on some new permission, its a b+b with 350 acres and they want them gone asap, and maybay getting paid, but there 2 massive ditches , and the best way to do it is a drop net. so if anybody can give me a bit of info or is selling 1 that will be great

you need to adapt a long net, using taller poles than usual. just set it up and then lift the bottom up off the ground about 18 inches or so, so the rabbits can pass freely under it. you may have to wait a week or so until they are happy to do this and relaxed when feeding. tie weights to the bottom of the net, so it falls well and quickly.

i have seen two ways to lift it off the floor, one was to tie it to each pole with a slip knot, and run a long line through all the knots so you could undo them with one good pull. a better way, but harder to set up, is to have a short line tied to the bottom of the net at each pole, and run them up the poles like a washing line 9you will need a little eye or loop at the top of each pole) and each of these short lines is then connected to a long line which is tied off to a tree or post or such, so you can just undo it when you want to drop.

it isn't quite this simple in the real world of course, you will have to play around with how it is set, how you tie your knots, how far apart you put your poles, how heavy the weights need to be etc etc but if you try a few practice sets out in a field you will get a feel for it. dont forget to use the wind direction in your favour or it can mess you right up!

i hope this brief description gives you a bit of help, good luck!

• Like 1