.270 Or 30.06 For Fallow And Reds

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive used the .270 (our estate rifle) my own .243s and my own 30.06 and even had a 300win mag for a while for forestry reds....all put plenty of deer in the larder but i liked the bigger calibers to be

I would love to see the look on some of the peppery old gentlemens faces that frequent our grouse moors, if you told them you shoot grice with a .338 win mag

Can you imagine the faces in the firearms dept when they look at a request for a .338win mag for grouse .....priceless ....Thing are a lot different in the USofA , we can only dream ... ..

:laugh:

30/06 is going to be your most versatile choice. I like 180gr for deer on up. If you are seriously thinking about a .270 I'd get a good blood tracking dog as well. :whistling:

Good hunting!

Micky , the deer over here hit with a .270 normally only need picking up ...not finding ! :laugh:..we use the .06 in the park on fallow & I personally think its a bit to much gun ..there a bit smaller than some of your deer ...

I wasn't trying to offend anyone with a delicate shoulder condition. :laugh: (your probably just a better shot)

Micky , I was thinking more of the deer than the shooter... :laugh:...

Sussex nah really with a i usualy load a cheap hornady 200 gr. behind some fast pistol powder an the bullet is goin prollt around 1000 to 1500 fps if that an at up to 100 yds it'l put a nice round hole in a specifically forrest grouse we have like 3 er four species of forrest grouse that are legal to shoot with most any arm the low land grouse must be taken with shot guns only here in my state however ,but yeah we set up my sons 308 win. to shoot cheap 150 gr. bullets with a fast powder an the results are about the same on small game ,of course we only use these light rounds on small game but at closer ranges i would think they'd work ok as well on biger stuff ,heck some guy's use a sub sonic round to deer hunt regularly both with an with out a moderator ,which is fundamentaly what i'm talking about ,also a friend who recently passed used a 308 win with open sites to stalk in colorado for elk for many years and he slew the heck outta them an he said he never felt under guned ,an he kept a 7mm mag as well that he almost never used ,in fact i was prolly the last person to hunt with it the 7 that is an i dropped a little spike white tail with it 7er8 years ago ,oh an we make slower all lead bulleted shells for deer hunting some times as well slowed down of course so theres less meat destruction [you can eat right up to the hole ]as some of the old time hunters say out here ,also the 270 is very good if once again you use a quality bullet for the job or a heavy cheap one like a all lead 150 gr. should have low meat damage with that one or go with a more premium partitioned one that is copper or a mx of lead copper then you could go light weight an still have less damage to your meat imo.

• Like 1

Can you imagine the faces in the firearms dept when they look at a request for a .338win mag for grouse :icon_eek:.....priceless ....Thing are a lot different in the USofA , we can only dream ... :laugh:..

• Like 3

Sussex nah really with a i usualy load a cheap hornady 200 gr. behind some fast pistol powder an the bullet is goin prollt around 1000 to 1500 fps if that an at up to 100 yds it'l put a nice round hole in a specifically forrest grouse we have like 3 er four species of forrest grouse that are legal to shoot with most any arm the low land grouse must be taken with shot guns only here in my state however ,but yeah we set up my sons 308 win. to shoot cheap 150 gr. bullets with a fast powder an the results are about the same on small game ,of course we only use these light rounds on small game but at closer ranges i would think they'd work ok as well on biger stuff ,heck some guy's use a sub sonic round to deer hunt regularly both with an with out a moderator ,which is fundamentaly what i'm talking about ,also a friend who recently passed used a 308 win with open sites to stalk in colorado for elk for many years and he slew the heck outta them an he said he never felt under guned ,an he kept a 7mm mag as well that he almost never used ,in fact i was prolly the last person to hunt with it the 7 that is an i dropped a little spike white tail with it 7er8 years ago ,oh an we make slower all lead bulleted shells for deer hunting some times as well slowed down of course so theres less meat destruction [you can eat right up to the hole ]as some of the old time hunters say out here ,also the 270 is very good if once again you use a quality bullet for the job or a heavy cheap one like a all lead 150 gr. should have low meat damage with that one or go with a more premium partitioned one that is copper or a mx of lead copper then you could go light weight an still have less damage to your meat imo.

:thumbs: (Grouse guns aside), a lot of people here picked up the .270 in the 80s. As a result, many deer were lost before they decided to allow blood tracking. Most deer I tracked were for the people with a .270 or archery equipment. I think at the closer ranges we have here in Michigan. Those fast light bullets just pass through without opening up much of a wound channel. At the greater ranges available out west things might be different.

ATB

:laugh:

30/06 is going to be your most versatile choice. I like 180gr for deer on up. If you are seriously thinking about a .270 I'd get a good blood tracking dog as well. :whistling:

Good hunting!

Micky , the deer over here hit with a .270 normally only need picking up ...not finding ! :laugh:..we use the .06 in the park on fallow & I personally think its a bit to much gun ..there a bit smaller than some of your deer ...

I wasn't trying to offend anyone with a delicate shoulder condition. :laugh: (your probably just a better shot)

Micky , I was thinking more of the deer than the shooter... :laugh:...

You are thoughful sportsman. :thumbs:

Micky , dead is dead mate , the .270 is really plenty of gun for our deer , It was my 1st deer rifle which I shot for a few years taking plenty of fallow & reds with it & the only time they needed following was down to me not putting the round on money ..I now shoot a 6.5 x55 that again does the job very well on the fallow & roe , with very little meat loss . I have not shot a red with it yet but cant see one standing up if the round is in the right place ... :thumbs:

• Like 1

6.5X55 ever considered this? excellent caliber, ive shot sika,roe,red , foxes and hares with it more than capable and my dad has shot every species out to 500 yards

What about the caliber 6.9 x 64 is perfect for all we have in the UK. ;)

6.5X55 ever considered this? excellent caliber, ive shot sika,roe,red , foxes and hares with it more than capable and my dad has shot every species out to 500 yards

Never heard of it. The 6.5x55 round has a decent sized following over here though.

ATB

LOL I reckon that be just fine be almost exactly like using a .270 win :thumbs:

• Like 2

Far as I know, the 6.9x64 is just the metric version of .270

Only difference would be if it was the .270 Winchester or WSM.

6.5x55 is a pleasure to shoot and has some punch when it hits home.

Lol. :whistling::laugh:

• Like 1

Fuc* it get the .25-06 and be done with it man :tongue2: if you cant handle the recoil from a .270 or .30-06 then you should invest in a body building course first, ffs neither kick like a 12 bore with heavy loads.

Fella aint no fly whaite am 15 stone so recoil is nawt realy