Loaning Terriers...

I've got a few mates that I would loan a dog ( if I had plenty myself ) and know it would probably get looked after as good if not better than there own. If you know how a man keeps his yard ,how he looks after he's dogs and how he digs then I would. As we all know there's a lot of shitehouses out there and only a fool would loan to someone that didn't respect you and your dogs!

• Like 7

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a few mates that I would loan a dog ( if I had plenty myself ) and know it would probably get looked after as good if not better than there own. If you know how a man keeps his yard ,how he l

No done it much but there a guy, member on here who let's us take his dogs out for a fox if we need, he's a decent guy and knows that if we put the dog in we won't be leaving it, he trusts us, and tha

Only loan dogs to lads you graft them with,mostly it works out fine for both parties,mostly.Its handy to gift a dog or two about,you have breeding thats being worked that you can fall back on,you may

Great if you have a trusted friend who you can pass on stock to and watch their progress , even if you gift and monitor the out come , it can be used as a guide to the success of the mating And the out come plus or negitive can only help with future plans , We all make wrong decisions thats life ,

• Like 4

Great if you have a trusted friend who you can pass on stock to and watch their progress , even if you gift and monitor the out come , it can be used as a guide to the success of the mating And the out come plus or negitive can only help with future plans , We all make wrong decisions thats life ,

agree with you there gonetoearth i have a young bitch out on loan to a mate she was ready to start at the end of the season and he has to carry on with pest

control so it,s worked out well she,s started work with him and he keeps me informed how she,s going couldnt of worked out better she wouldnt have seen anything till

september if she stayed here as you say only with a trusted friend though

used to loan out one dog in particular of mine who would find you a fox on top or below no matter what, to mates who i trusted, they would bring him back all cleaned up by evening so never had a problem, and listening to the days accounts of how my dog made em happy was ace, but theres mates and mates you can trust big difference

Edited by fourlurchers

Personally its very important to set up ground rules as to exactly what is expected .A loan is exactly that ,never owned just loaned .I know what its like to get used to having a certain terrier around ,so I understand it would be hard for someone to give back what they have become used to but a deal is a deal .What I would do however is give the lad plenty of notice that I wanted the dog back and expect him to adhere to this regardless. I can understanding lads falling out but would question the reason why given it was made very clear from the outset .To loan a terrier and have no contact for ages is to court disaster and maybe the reason why lads then feel they've earned the right to keep it as the owner dosnt appear to care.Loaning terriers has always been a good way to farm out stock you don't have space or work for and to follow the progress of another young un.

Permanent loan is another thing though and needs to be written down IMO .

• Like 1

In my experience the folk that 'loan' out dogs are the ones who blow and bellow of how good their stock is and 'gift' dogs to their armies of young disciples, only to tell 'em it was simply a 'loan' when the dog is flying and they want it back, after the kid has done their work for 'em... :yes:

By all means, keep and gift dogs between genuine trusted friends but never 'loan' dogs, one way or another...

2 sides to the loan of a terrier. First is trusting the man you loan the dog to , then there is the man loaning the dog, can he handle being told him his dog wanked ?...... Can be trying for both.

• Like 2

The flip side is getting a call saying the dog is pts or died working then hearing down the line the f****r is alive and going great guns but sold on .The terrier world is not that big and things get back given time ,a point some would do well to remember .When loaning works it works well but far better IMO to gift a dog in the first place and know where you stand.The unwritten rule to that is a return gift of a pup from a future mating if needed .

• Like 2

The flip side is getting a call saying the dog is pts or died working then hearing down the line the f****r is alive and going great guns but sold on .The terrier world is not that big and things get back given time ,a point some would do well to remember .When loaning works it works well but far better IMO to gift a dog in the first place and know where you stand.The unwritten rule to that is a return gift of a pup from a future mating if needed .

A few mates i know been done over like that, id be going f***ing nuts if it happened to me.. and is the main reason i will NEVER loan a dog out to anybody except the lad i dig with every week if i was short of kennels ect as we both keep the same line! But, i would never accept a loaned dog by anybody other than him either so works both ways :thumbs:

• Like 1

ratkilla........No manners have you?.....Being a smart ass sure as hell don't show any brains....Lets hear all about your hunting exploits and "killa" dogs , and don't worry about mine.

• Like 1