The True Cost Of Fac Air Rifles.

I have both a 22LR and a FAC springer. Just sold another FAC springer (18 fpe Cometa). I use the air rifle for close-range stuff and smaller quarry (wabbits, magpies), where a 22 round would just pass through and keep going.

For larger/tougher quarry (coypus & muskrats) and targets beyond 30-40 metres, it's the .22. Horses for courses.

FAC springers over here cost slightly more than less powerful versions of the same model, but the difference isn't huge. Since I have a gun licence, I went for the extra power to give me more flexibility. PCPs are ridiculously expensive over here, though, so weren't really an option for me.

• Like 1

I have a beautiful Weihrauch HW80 .22 tuned to 21.3 ft/lbs on my FAC. I was well aware of the likelyhood of being unable to sell the rifle on before I had the work carried out by professional gunsmiths. But, this rifle is one in a million. It was built when Weihrauch's gunmakers cared about what they were doing and built an example that is astonishingly accurate and built with precision.

It will perform precise headshots on pigeons, squirrels and rats or same plus heart and lung shots on rabbits, that kill the animal decisively and humanely fast. I can shoot effectively to distances that outrange a sub 12 ft/lb rifle and at closer ranges where a .22LR or 17HMR would be dangerous to use such as the likelyhood of cartridge shots penetrating clean through and going on to reach houses or roads where people are. I also use it exclusively where Mink have appeared on my permissions and have to shot. It is a rifle I can rely on anytime and can be used where one is too little and the other too much! Likewise, I have a brilliant HW77 .22 and HW97K .177 where sub 12 is the only gun for the job because of closer proximities to farm buildings or boundaries to be especially careful of.

The rifle will never be put up for sale and any offer to buy it would be refused as it is one of a kind. It has also provided me with some of my most memorable hunting days and nights over the last 16 years I've owned it. And you can't buy those.

An FAC air rifle is worth the application for an FAC to own it. If I had to cull deer and foxes in abundance, I'd get the appropriate calibre cartridge rifles for those jobs. But I don't. So I don't!

I love small vermin hunting with an air rifle best of all. And my HW80 gives me a very effective edge in small pest control. That's why I keep it as it is.

Simon.

• Like 6

I have a beautiful Weihrauch HW80 .22 tuned to 21.3 ft/lbs on my FAC. I was well aware of the likelyhood of being unable to sell the rifle on before I had the work carried out by professional gunsmiths. But, this rifle is one in a million. It was built when Weihrauch's gunmakers cared about what they were doing and built an example that is astonishingly accurate and built with precision.

It will perform precise headshots on pigeons, squirrels and rats or same plus heart and lung shots on rabbits, that kill the animal decisively and humanely fast. I can shoot effectively to distances that outrange a sub 12 ft/lb rifle and at closer ranges where a .22LR or 17HMR would be dangerous to use such as the likelyhood of cartridge shots penetrating clean through and going on to reach houses or roads where people are. I also use it exclusively where Mink have appeared on my permissions and have to shot. It is a rifle I can rely on anytime and can be used where one is too little and the other too much! Likewise, I have a brilliant HW77 .22 and HW97K .177 where sub 12 is the only gun for the job because of closer proximities to farm buildings or boundaries to be especially careful of.

The rifle will never be put up for sale and any offer to buy it would be refused as it is one of a kind. It has also provided me with some of my most memorable hunting days and nights over the last 16 years I've owned it. And you can't buy those.

An FAC air rifle is worth the application for an FAC to own it. If I had to cull deer and foxes in abundance, I'd get the appropriate calibre cartridge rifles for those jobs. But I don't. So I don't!

I love small vermin hunting with an air rifle best of all. And my HW80 gives me a very effective edge in small pest control. That's why I keep it as it is.

Simon.

Couldent agree more, well put! In the same boat myself with my FAC airgun. It was sub 12 and I got it put on ticket and don't care about it been de valued as Its my pride and joy with memories attatched so its never going to be sold. Its also a lot more suitable than a rimfire on my permissions therefore a better tool for the job.

• Like 3

aye up

take a look on the air arms owners forum and in the fac section there's some good info .

fac air rifles are great on my permissions where a rim fire rifle is unsuitable and I need the extra range and stopping power .

go down the second had route like I did , look on gun trader web sites

if you go for pcp fac air get yourself 12L dive bottle as there very hungry on air you will be surprised how quickly you can empty one.

shergar

• Like 2

Hey Shergar,

I can't say I've been on the AA forum, mostly because I don't own a AA rifle (however, I can say the pellets are sublime ;) ) and my main interests seem to be right here on THL but l think there's a lot for me to consider, even once I get my FAC, on whether owning an FAC AR is on the cards or a rifle in the future.

I think it's beneficial in many ways to have the FAC air rifles and especially where in places you can't use a rifle and even with the 2nd market: buying a rifle new and the right equipment could be about the same price as the used FAC

Personally, I'm keen on deer stalking, not done anything yet but YouTube, reviews and details on the forum and elsewhere fascinate me-whether it's something I'll take up is due to if I can actually find the work too.

I appreciate your help though matey and I'm sure you'll hear more from me in the future and whether I'll get anything :thumbs:

White

I think, from reading the posts here, that, having decided on getting an FAC and putting an air rifle on it, it is a sensible thing to find an air rifle that will tune up to the power levels that;

A. Make it worthwhile in the first place, like having at least 18-20ft/lbs and more. A shade over 12-15ft/lbs is neither one thing nor another.

B. Having got your licence. Choose a rifle with care. One that will take the massive power increase in its stride smoothly and with no loss of precision accuracy. The ideal pellet for it must be stable enough to take the higher power also. Not all pellets that are brilliant at sub 12, can perform as well at 20+.

C. Choose a rifle you are going to love owning and shooting possibly for your lifetime, or you're prepared to write off the values and costs with no further thought or desire to sell it on at some future date. Or, likely as not, you'll be stuck with it.

• Like 4

I bought an old HW80 for a hundred quid.

Polished all the internals to a mirror shine, drilled in delrin buttons to the front and rear of the piston, fitted an fac V-mach service kit, sized the piston seal and tuned the trigger.

Stuck a parker hale mod on the end and added a little weight to the stock.

Total cost £200

Makes 19fpe, super fast lock time and althought it kicks it has no muzzle bounce.

When i put in the practise it shoots accurate and i kill rabbits concidently to 40 yards with a nice flat tragectory, but only after putting in a bit of range time.

Love that gun and after 3 years i will never part with it.

Chris

• Like 3

There's another brilliantly sorted HW80 .22; especially as I know how marvelous a job Chris does on his rifles. This rifle is absolutely at its peak at around the 20ft/lb mark. That's all you need and the consistency and accuracy of the elderly HW80 makes it a fantastic rifle at these sort of energy figures. I wouldn't have a PCP over my beautiful HW80 any time.

I bought an old HW80 for a hundred quid.
Polished all the internals to a mirror shine, drilled in delrin buttons to the front and rear of the piston, fitted an fac V-mach service kit, sized the piston seal and tuned the trigger.
Stuck a parker hale mod on the end and added a little weight to the stock.
Total cost £200
Makes 19fpe, super fast lock time and althought it kicks it has no muzzle bounce.
When i put in the practise it shoots accurate and i kill rabbits concidently to 40 yards with a nice flat tragectory, but only after putting in a bit of range time.
Love that gun and after 3 years i will never part with it.

Chris

• Like 1

Hey Simon thanks for that and good to be back reading stuff on here. Been a bit obssessed with my salmon fishing of late. I know you can kill quarry at double my distances and more. I am always humbled by your compliments sir considering your expertise. I wouldn't be surprised if Weihrauch sales have gone up in the Uk with your words of wisdom on them. Had a plink tonight with the 80 & its a joy. Passes the pellet turret test no probs and is bang on zero after 3 months in the cabinet. The only fac air i have and aint even slightly interested in fac pcp stuff. Just no fun. Spent an hour with a pcp last week and got mightily bored. Spent an hour tightening up my groups with the beloved 80 and walked of with the cheesy grin and no pumps or air bottles. Will get a vid on soon of its accuracy, smoothness and its sheer skull smashing capabilities on bunnies. Pcp &Rimfires -zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;-) fac 80 bloody bootifull. Listen to Simon and get an 80. I did and have a lifer ;-)

• Like 1