Pics Of Your Bushing Dogs

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

couple more of ours     first pic sire and dam in middle with 2 pups either side second pic mother middle pups either side

fell/russell/beagle/bull... . are some folk trying to reinvent the wheel.            

Old pic I have .1980 ish 

Posted Images

UG - Or a real racy lurcher . . . . . .mainly sighthound.

Funny you should mention. I said to Joe on another thread, if he wanted a lab lurcher he just needed to find a coursing dog to put over my bitch.

Depending how she gets on with the boar in France, I've a two generation breeding plan to get some Aussie style running catch dogs.

If I go down the lurcher route can I put you down for a pup? Lol.

• Like 2

Nice dog tho mate

Cheers.

She has a 3 inch scar across the back of her head where she skinned it on bardwire. Between that and her motheaten nose the is not as pretty as she used to be...

Been toying with the idea of putting a hard digging Patterdale over her.

I bet they would be great bushing/mooching ect. Good luck if you do go ahead with that. atb.

Edited by day and night walker

Nice dog tho mate

Cheers.

She has a 3 inch scar across the back of her head where she skinned it on bardwire. Between that and her motheaten nose the is not as pretty as she used to be...

Been toying with the idea of putting a hard digging Patterdale over her. I bet they would be ideal above ground, i wonder what sizes they would make anyhow good luck if you do. atb.

I reckon they would be about cocker sized as she is not the tallest of labs.

Stabba was singing the praises of a dog from his way bred the same.

Funny you should mention. I said to Joe on another thread, if he wanted a lab lurcher he just needed to find a coursing dog to put over my bitch.

Depending how she gets on with the boar in France, I've a two generation breeding plan to get some Aussie style running catch dogs.

Put me down for one of those running catch dogs . . . . .

France?

Funnily enough UG, I happen to have seen a Pat x Lab. Accidental mating I think, but hunted like feck, mainly boar, deer and fox. And was very very happy to get stuck into a boar or deer (the latter being a rarer opportunity for a small dog). Good news is it's a male. . . . . bad news is it has no nuts!

France?

There is a trip planned to France shortly. It is a recce to a boar park for later hunts.

• Like 1

Funnily enough UG, I happen to have seen a Pat x Lab. Accidental mating I think, but hunted like feck, mainly boar, deer and fox. And was very very happy to get stuck into a boar or deer (the latter being a rarer opportunity for a small dog). Good news is it's a male. . . . . bad news is it has no nuts!

Was it from the Midlands? I remember Stabba saying similar of a dog from there that was bred the same.

I reckon a leggy hard digging Patt would do the trick.

For running catch dog I'm thinking 7/8 Wheaton 1/8 grey over the lab for drive and bite. Then the best of the bitch pups would go under a coursing deerhound for the added size and speed. Hopefully this will maintain a good coat, with the necessary nose, trainability and drive to find hunt and hold pigs single handed.

That's the theory anyway. After 6+ years I will probably end up with a load of backfill! Lol.

France?

There is a trip planned to France shortly. It is a recce to a boar park for later hunts.

Yer I did get a text about that. . . . . replied. . . . and heard nowt!

No it was from Wales.

If I was looking for a running catch dog. . . . . i'd be tempted with something a long the lines of hound / collie / bull / deerhound . . . . . . or there a bouts. Although a Kiwi I know says that the best two dog team he has ever killed boar with . . . . . was a pair of collie / kelpie types. . . . coupled with a pistol.

France?

Yer I did get a text about that. . . . . replied. . . . and heard nowt!

No it was from Wales.

If I was looking for a running catch dog. . . . . i'd be tempted with something a long the lines of hound / collie / bull / deerhound . . . . . . or there a bouts. Although a Kiwi I know says that the best two dog team he has ever killed boar with . . . . . was a pair of collie / kelpie types. . . . coupled with a pistol.

I've seen a few professional pig hunters in NZ on the internet, who use a baying pair of labs and a semi auto shotgun.

Think that approach only works for so long. Once the pigs get smart they don't stop for a bay and need teeth on them to stop them running...

Yes, my experience of it is that the pigs are usually easier to bring to bay once they have been tired out and have been chewed on a bit. If they think they can't run any more without getting grabbed at. . . . they bay up.

Jai ,I often wonder if I was younger,less kids and back at my old house,what trouble I would get into with a brace of collie bull greyhounds,

I wouldn't want scent hound blood,as I don't think round here you got to go far till you trip over something,

And the animals are more concentrated in certain areas.

On the trips abroad you get to legally cover more ground,and I assume the animals are wider spread,so the scenting comes in more handy?

I think if you bred really big Rough coated deer grey bull grey would be handy boar dogs but just draw to much attention to yourself !!

I was hoping the infusion of lab and Wheaton would mean the size wasn't excessive, as well as making them a little bit covert...

I would say that's about right. In the places where there are a lot of large game species over seas, where legal to hunt them - i.e parts of Europe, Australia, NZ, USA etc, the areas hunted tend to be far larger, less densely populated by people, and are often made up of reletvily unmanaged woodland / forest / scrub / cover in large blocks. I think due to the cunning nature of the quarry, a dog that can find is very useful. In other places, i've seen folk (on you tube) running up to them in the open on a quad and dropping dogs on them . . . . in that case scenting ability isn't needed. In this country, I would imagine, somewhere in between would be better, as a long scenting dog could go off permission / get lost very easily, or cross a road. So something which could find scent in closeish quarters and would hunt well enough but not trail for miles would be better.

Me. . . . i'll stick to rabbits. My dogs struggle enough to catch them, so it's entertaining enough. Everything else is too much hassle in this day and age. :thumbs: