Pics Of Your Bushing Dogs

I think a patt x whippet would make a really useful bushing/ferreting/ratting dog. My three quarter terrier, quarter whippet, who has a bit of patterdale in her, is very quick for her size and is great for ferreting hedgerows. She works in the middle of the hedge and often puts enough pressure on bolters that they leave the safety of the hedge where the lurcher has a chance at them. And she's only quarter whippet - a half cross ought to be faster still (though possibly disadvantaged in tight spaces by being a bit taller?)

Do you think your busher being quarter whippet will be able to catch rabbits as they run from cover to cover or along the hedge. atb.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

couple more of ours     first pic sire and dam in middle with 2 pups either side second pic mother middle pups either side

fell/russell/beagle/bull... . are some folk trying to reinvent the wheel.            

Old pic I have .1980 ish 

Posted Images

I think a patt x whippet would make a really useful bushing/ferreting/ratting dog. My three quarter terrier, quarter whippet, who has a bit of patterdale in her, is very quick for her size and is great for ferreting hedgerows. She works in the middle of the hedge and often puts enough pressure on bolters that they leave the safety of the hedge where the lurcher has a chance at them. And she's only quarter whippet - a half cross ought to be faster still (though possibly disadvantaged in tight spaces by being a bit taller?)

Do you think your busher being quarter whippet will be able to catch rabbits as they run from cover to cover or along the hedge. atb.

I think that will depend on luck to be honest. If she's in the right place when they bolt she'd be in with a chance; she caught one a few weeks ago that bolted very close to her and ran up the hedge for the next warren up, which was about 30 yards away. She nailed it just before it got to the other warren. And she's also had a hole-hopper that bolted almost under her nose and was trying to get down a different hole about 6 foot away.

I would only expect her to be in with a chance of catching unless she's very close when they bolt. But what I've been really pleasantly surprised by is how effective she is at putting them under pressure as they run up the middle of a hedge. I was out today and she managed to panic one clear of the hedge where the lurcher had a run at it. And a second one bolted straight up the middle of the hedge with her in hot pursuit and the lurcher running alongside it. The rabbit got so flustered that it doubled back down the hedge, again with the terrier yipping hard on its heels and the lurcher running alongside in the field. And again the pressure from the 2 of them panicked it into turning again in the hedge and heading back the way it had originally gone. I thought it would have taken refuge in the next bury along, and once the dogs had got to that point and not caught it I called them back. I should have kept my mouth shut and left them to it as the rabbit suddenly popped out of the hedge about 100 yards further up the hedge and cut the corner of the field. (I still caught it though as I'd left a longnet there 'cos I knew where anything going in that direction would be headed :thumbs: )

• Like 2

Any pics of himkrawnden

This was taken a few months ago when she was around 5 months old. I'll try and take some up to date pics over the w/e...

She looks a little cracker in that pic fella, my one has the dark muzzle as well in fact she looks similar too yours only mine is a reddish color with a slightly thicker coat. She's getting the hang of things now but i really need too get another terrier or better still whirrier coz it's a bit too much for her on her own, not to mention all the rabbits that break cover and run straight across an open field. atb daywalker. Edited by day and night walker
  • Like 1

Hope the hunter doesn't mind me using his pic, but I think I'm going to have one of this cross one day, Patt x whippet

da20b5561938ae177e0bc1fd3d0eb380.jpg

I know an old fella that kept a line of pure Staffords that were snipey like this dog. Infact it's the spit of a bitch he had years back.

Will have to show him the pic I'm sure it'll bring back some good memories for him, thanks for sharing :thumbs:

• Like 1

Hope the hunter doesn't mind me using his pic, but I think I'm going to have one of this cross one day, Patt x whippet

I know an old fella that kept a line of pure Staffords that were snipey like this dog. Infact it's the spit of a bitch he had years back.

Will have to show him the pic I'm sure it'll bring back some good memories for him, thanks for sharing :thumbs:

There's a vid on utube of a staff x catching a rabbit along a dry stone wall. Apparently it catches them quite often according to the owner which is odd because it does not appear too have any running dog in it. atb daywalker.

Any pics of himkrawnden

This was taken a few months ago when she was around 5 months old. I'll try and take some up to date pics over the w/e...

She looks a little cracker in that pic fella, my one has the dark muzzle as well in fact she looks similar too yours only mine is a reddish color with a slightly thicker coat. She's getting the hang of things now but i really need too get another terrier or better still whirrier coz it's a bit too much for her on her own, not to mention all the rabbits that break cover and run straight across an open field. atb daywalker.

The ones that break for open field are my fav when my two whipps are outside waiting.

• Like 1

According to the fella that owns it, its not slow either and can take bolters.

had a first cross whippet terrier ,could catch no problem making across a field ,was my first dog when I was a kid ,paid 5 pound out the exchange and mart ,picked her up at 8 weeks old showed her a mouse lol the same day ,snatched it out me mates hand and swallowed it ,never looked back from that day on

• Like 2