Pics Of Your Bushing Dogs

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

couple more of ours     first pic sire and dam in middle with 2 pups either side second pic mother middle pups either side

fell/russell/beagle/bull... . are some folk trying to reinvent the wheel.            

Old pic I have .1980 ish 

Posted Images

I have a question in regard to the purpose bred bushing dog in the UK and Ireland. Is a "type" emerging?

I used to, and in small way still do use terriers for bushing. Finding the intended animal above ground and catching it or more typically flushing it to a gun or to a dog that can catch it. I understand why terriers are not always the ideal type for the job depending on the land, how professionally the job must be done and of course complying with the present day laws.  Hence the reason why people are producing dogs that are a mix of terrier/hound/spaniel. Bushing dogs.

We now seem to have dogs that are several generations from the initial base breeds used. And handsome animals some of them are in the photographs on this thread. Form following function. Is an ideal type emerging? The scenting ability and voice of a hound, the closer hunting trait and tractability of a spaniel and tenacity of a terrier without the problematic small size and immediate desire to go to ground.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, eastcoast said:

I have a question in regard to the purpose bred bushing dog in the UK and Ireland. Is a "type" emerging?

I used to, and in small way still do use terriers for bushing. Finding the intended animal above ground and catching it or more typically flushing it to a gun or to a dog that can catch it. I understand why terriers are not always the ideal type for the job depending on the land, how professionally the job must be done and of course complying with the present day laws.  Hence the reason why people are producing dogs that are a mix of terrier/hound/spaniel. Bushing dogs.

We now seem to have dogs that are several generations from the initial base breeds used. And handsome animals some of them are in the photographs on this thread. Form following function. Is an ideal type emerging? The scenting ability and voice of a hound, the closer hunting trait and tractability of a spaniel and tenacity of a terrier without the problematic small size and immediate desire to go to ground.

I would say no and yes lol.

There are ‘types’, but different types will very much suit different ground.

I ran a line bred beagle / teckle / terrier / spaniel back home, which was great. Came down south and on this ground etc it was a nightmare.

For me bushing dogs fit into three types - pures (terrier, spaniel, hound etc), and then ones with hound and ones without. Ie terrier beagle vs spaniel beagle. 

What suits depends on ground and how you hunt them - ie on own, in a pack, flushing to guns or runners, or hunting runners alongside etc. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2020 at 12:52, SheepChaser said:

I would say no and yes lol.

There are ‘types’, but different types will very much suit different ground.

I ran a line bred beagle / teckle / terrier / spaniel back home, which was great. Came down south and on this ground etc it was a nightmare.

For me bushing dogs fit into three types - pures (terrier, spaniel, hound etc), and then ones with hound and ones without. Ie terrier beagle vs spaniel beagle. 

What suits depends on ground and how you hunt them - ie on own, in a pack, flushing to guns or runners, or hunting runners alongside etc. 

what sort of dogs suit you now? you're hants now yeah?

22 minutes ago, spindolero said:

what sort of dogs suit you now? you're hants now yeah?

I much prefer hounds and hound types to anything else, but sadly the roads, boundary’s and people make that a bit of a tough one.

Currently messing about with a spaniel, and a terrier. But having had a good few folk here on an invite (we have some good bushing days with a gang of us), I would say that spaniel x terrier and terriers that dont drop to ground, or at least are fox only, are the right thing for doing the kind of cover we have. 

I want it out the cover, if it’s not stopped, I don’t want the little dogs going across a 100 acre field and on and on if that makes sense. 

Back home, the on and on was the bit I loved! 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

I much prefer hounds and hound types to anything else, but sadly the roads, boundary’s and people make that a bit of a tough one.

Currently messing about with a spaniel, and a terrier. But having had a good few folk here on an invite (we have some good bushing days with a gang of us), I would say that spaniel x terrier and terriers that dont drop to ground, or at least are fox only, are the right thing for doing the kind of cover we have. 

I want it out the cover, if it’s not stopped, I don’t want the little dogs going across a 100 acre field and on and on if that makes sense. 

Back home, the on and on was the bit I loved! 

ye would like something like that myself one day, purely looking for something to hit stuff up for the lurchers