How Do You Clean Yours ??

After putting 60 rounds through the new P8 on the .223 I thought I'd give it a clean, I stripped it all down and then wasn't 100% sure of best method or cleaning products to use.

I ended up giving it a wipe over with some copper solvent and attacked with an old tooth brush, then cleaned off with some degreaser and finished off by wiping with some ballistol.

Couldn't find the website for advise, but I'm sure you kind people will point me in the right direction :thumbs:

I have P8 Compacts on all 3 of my centrefires.

They get stripped and cleaned every outing, same solvents/oils/brushes etc as the rifles.

Bit of a pain but it works, so do the rifles they sit on, and that does for me. :yes::thumbs:

I have no real idea of any accuracy reduction, decrease in efficiency etc of not cleaning them, as I was bought up with a target background and have always kept all my kit clean.

One thing I can guarantee, if you don't strip them regularly, a time will come when even a welding torch will struggle to get them apart!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

I have P8 Compacts on all 3 of my centrefires.

They get stripped and cleaned every outing, same solvents/oils/brushes etc as the rifles.

Bit of a pain but it works, so do the rifles they sit on, and that does for me. :yes::thumbs:

I have no real idea of any accuracy reduction, decrease in efficiency etc of not cleaning them, as I was bought up with a target background and have always kept all my kit clean.

One thing I can guarantee, if you don't strip them regularly, a time will come when even a welding torch will struggle to get them apart!

Cheers for that mate...

Im anal with having everything clean, even do my Rimmy once a week lol.

I'll stick to my routine just didn't know if the copper solvent would do any damage or there was anything special I needed to do, read somewhere you can damage the o rings with excessive cleaning, don't know how true this is.

Thanks again ?

"O" rings are a wear item, replacement sets are available from the manufacturer, UK Custom Shop.

Just the same, I have 3 x P8 Compacts, they get used/stripped/cleaned regularly and are all several years old now, the "O" rings are all original and fine! :thumbs:

• 3 months later...

Rarely. :laugh: If/when I do, I just use a bit of rag and some WD40. :thumbs:

I never use Wd 40 as it sucks out too much moisture I use Napier power air rifle oil on everything I've owned never had a problem even with a old Winchester 338

But I tend to do a barrel clean and De grease and 're grease any moving or greased parts

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I read on an antique sword forum that the best way to clean/protect the steel from rust is to use spray polish, Mr Sheen or Pledge! As it leaves a microscopic layer of polymers that forms a barrier from damp but doesn't leave it sticky like oil which will hold dust and other crud!!

I've never had a gun turn rusty in my posession! Had a few that were rusty when I acquired them though!! :tongue2:

John :bye: